Wesleyan Heritage Conference to focus on identity

By Katie Ellington, Staff Writer

Every two years, Asbury sets aside time to focus on the contributions and everyday implications of Wesleyan theology.

Asbury’s Wesleyan Heritage Conference begins Oct. 10 and will focus on different aspects of identity.

“The theme of the conference points to the fact that there are different facets to the human self, rather than there being multiple ‘selves’ in a person,” said Chris Bounds, who serves as professor of Wesleyan studies and the department chair for Asbury’s Christian studies and philosophy department. “Each of these facets is significant to understanding more fully Christ’s work in restoring the image of God in us.”

On Monday, Bounds will kick off the conference with a chapel message entitled, “The Role and Goal of Spiritual Formation in the Wesleyan Heritage Tradition.”

Virginia Holeman, a professor of counseling at Asbury Theological Seminary, will speak on the relational self during Wednesday’s chapel, as well as hosting a talk-back session in the cafeteria.

On Tuesday, students are invited to a coffee house discussion in the student center at 4 p.m. According to Janet Dean, associate professor of psychology, who served on this year’s planning committee, students will be able to engage in a discussion on the balance of grace and truth in making moral decisions. The faculty panel will include Dean, Bounds, business professor Kevin Brown and English professor Dan Strait.

“I’m particularly looking forward to this year’s conference as it attempts to address the very important question, ‘Who am I?’” said Dean. “So many competing voices try to answer this question, but fall short. Our Wesleyan Holiness tradition, with its strong foundation in Scripture and its rich understanding of grace, faith, and holiness of heart and life, has much to say about what it means for us to be created in the image of God and how His characteristics are reflected in our own.”