The Weekly Recap: October 23rd

By Zack Peñalva, Sports Editor

Not Even Neuer Can Save Bayern Munich Against Arsenal

Theo Walcott would have put himself on the score sheet in Arsenal’s 2-0 over Bayern if not for Manuel Neuer’s catlike reflexes to deny the Englishman’s header.

Alcides Escobar Catches a 111-mph Line Drive

As if the diving catch from Escobar wasn’t good enough, he flipped it quick to second base to get the double play.

The Saddest Wolverine

In one of the truest examples of “it’s not over ’til it’s over,” Michigan managed to lose the game against Michigan State on the final play despite leading for all 60 minutes of play.

Bonus: Worst. Play. Ever.

There are no words.

Back to Back Conference Wins for Women’s Soccer

Oct. 17- Asbury’s game against Carlow University was wrapped up quickly after a strong first half of attacking put the Eagles up 4-0. A brace from senior Teryn Wright bookended goal scored by sophomore Laura Mills and freshman Logan Hall.

The attack took very little time to find its groove; Wright’s first shot of the game in the eighth minute kicked off scoring before Mills found the back of the net in the seventeenth. Wright put the game to rest with her strike right before halftime, bringing her goal tally to eight for the season. Credit should also be given to the Eagles’ defense. Their lockdown of Carlow prevented a single shot on goal for the game.

Oct. 22- The Eagle’s continued their winning ways in the conference with a 4-1 win over Rio Grande. Laura Mills continued her scoring run with the opener in the 12th minute. Another first half goal from freshman Emily Hubbuch kept the Eagles up 2-1 going into halftime after a penalty from Rio Grande’s Melissa Dickerson. The attack stalled at the start of the second half before Hubbuch combined with Wright and scored her second. After scoring against Carlow, Logan Hall found herself on the scoresheet again against Rio Grande as she finished of the night’s scoring with her 70th minute goal.

Men’s Soccer Falls to Ranked Opponents

Oct. 17- A slow start by the Eagles put them in the hole early against Rio Grande when Luiz Filho scored in the game’s third minute to give the Storm the lead. Rio Grande, currently ranked second in the NAIA, was held at bay for the rest of the first half as Asbury tried to fight their way back even.

After making it to half time only down by one goal, another slow start for the Eagles cost them as Rio Grande doubled their lead in the 48th minute. From there, Rio Grande took over, taking 18 more shots before the Storm’s leading goal scorer Willian Paulino scored the third.

Asbury got back one consolation as sophomore Ryan Metcalf pounced on a late rebound to make the final score 3-1.

Oct. 21- Things didn’t get any easier for the Eagles as they took on the NAIA’s number one team Cumberland University. CU attacked confidently, scoring once in the 30th minute and forcing Asbury goalkeeper John Burns into six saves. Things didn’t get easier for the senior goalkeeper in the second half as the Bulldogs continued to have their fair share of chances. Despite some good scoring opportunities for the Eagles, nothing seemed to go their way. CU scored once in the 71st minute through Brian McNamara and again seven minutes later when Marty Owens found the back of the net for the second time that night.

It was a disappointing loss for the Eagles, but it was far from a worst-case scenario when playing against the top team in the division. The Eagles will have a conference matchup tomorrow, Oct. 24 against Ohio Christian University at home.