Weekly Recap: September 25

By Zack Peñalva, Sports Editor

VOLLEYBALL

Wins for the Eagles’ volleyball team against Ohio Christian University and Carlow University brought their record to 12-8.

Asbury took the first two sets in the match against Ohio Christian, before OCU clawed back in the third. The Eagles ended the fourth set and the match with a 25-11 score line. Sophomore Ryanne Purcell and junior Hillarie Dyck were on the court for all four sets, racking up 12 kills each.

While the Eagles’ may struggle to match their record from last season, they’ve shown dominance in the KIAC. The win in straight sets against Carlow put Asbury’s conference record at 4-0.

The volleyball team will have a small break before getting back into action against Midway University at home at 7 p.m. on Sept. 29.

WOMEN’S SOCCER

An early second-half goal from Asbury freshman Emily Hubbuch wasn’t enough to secure the win for the Eagles, as Georgetown found an equalizer in the game’s dying seconds.

Georgetown controlled the first half, putting up ten shots compared to Asbury’s one. Eagles’ goalkeeper, sophomore Brooke Perkins, was credited with seven saves for the game, five of which came during the opening 45 minutes.

Hubbuch’s goal, her third this season, came from good awareness after a poor clearance led to a loose ball in the box.

Asbury clung onto the lead for most of the second half with Georgetown continuing to attack. With only 30 seconds left in regular time, Georgetown midfielder Lindsey Dunn got on the end of a pass and slotted home to send the game to extra time. With neither team able to score during the extra 30 minutes, the game ended 1-1.

A long break is in the schedule before hosting West Virginia Tech on Oct. 8.

TENNIS

Two from the Eagles women’s team, sophomore Caitlin Conyers and junior Sarah Beth Alford, advanced to the next round of the ITA Regional Tournament. Both went on to play Friday morning RESULTS NOT POSTED AS OF 11:23 a.m. 9/25.

For the men, only junior Deuce Gibson was able to advance, beating Axel Lucich from Cumberland in three sets. He plays in the next round Friday morning          RESULTS NOT POSTED AS OF 11:23 a.m. 9/25.