Women’s soccer sweeps Midway College 8-1

By Ashley Walls
Sports Editor

The Asbury women’s soccer team didn’t just win last Thursday; the Asbury women’s soccer team cruised to an 8-1 conference win against Midway College without looking back, keeping their undefeated conference record intact. 

Junior Meredith Ury had a hat trick in the win, while sophomore Jenna Bird and freshman Shanda Painter each had two goals, and senior Andrea Hasik had a goal of her own. 

“All games are important,” junior Samantha Chanda said. “But winning 8-1 in conference is the best. We wanted to make a statement, and I believe we did.”

Coming off of a 5-12 season last year, the Eagles have improved to a 6-8 overall record and a 3-0 record in conference play. Now, only two things stand in the way of the Eagles and this year’s KIAC conference title: their next two games, both of them against conference opponents. 

“It’s time to focus on the mental part of the game,” Chanda said. “Doing the simple things well and being mentally tough.”

Junior Meredith Ury agreed, saying each game is important. “We know we can win conference,” Ury said. “We just have to put the work in every game and focus on each one as it comes.”    

The Eagles’ next conference matchup will be at home on Oct. 26 at 1 p.m. against the current conference leader, Point Park University. 

After that, the Eagles will gear up for conference action again for their final game of the regular season on Oct. 29 as they travel to Cincinatti Christian University to play CCU at 6 p.m. 
Despite ending their regular season with some of their toughest opponents, this Asbury team plans on ending this season with success.  

“We want to win every game, whatever it takes,” Ury said. “Especially against Point Park this Saturday.”

Chanda says the team doesn’t just plan on being successful; the team plans on making it far.

“Winning the conference is the number one priority as of now, but of course nationals is in the back of my mind,” Chanda said. “My favorite memory of college so far was going down to Florida my freshman year for tournament time. I’m itching for some more fun like that!”

Freshman Maddye Hahn knows Asbury has the team to do it. “I have faith in my team that we can get to nationals, if we play well,” freshman Maddye Hahn said. “I have so much confidence in my team; we just have to show out.”