Eagles claim two victories, one loss

By Ashley Walls
Sports Editor

After watching the volleyball team play three different opponents on Sat. afternoon, it’s clear that teamwork is something volleyball head coach J.P. Rader values. 

On Sept. 14, the 8-6-0 Asbury volleyball team hosted three different teams for three different games in one afternoon. Point Park handed the Eagles a loss in the first game, but the team made up for the loss by defeating both Alice Lloyd College and St. Louis College of Pharmacy with a score of 3-0 just hours later. 

In the last game against St. Louis College of Pharmacy , the Eagles never let their opponent reach 20 points. While it seemed like St. Louis College of Pharmacy  couldn’t seem to connect, the Eagles set up plays as if they had done them in their sleep. 

Junior Jessie Bartlow and senior Mackenzie Burke showed the Eagles’ fans what teamwork looked like with 17 assists each. Senior Kelly Cole defended the Eagles’ home court with 22 digs, and junior Sarah Sterling showed no mercy, tearing the St. Louis College of Pharmacy’s defense apart with 20 kills. 

“That was the first game where I really felt like we played as a whole team,” Sterling said. “That just got me more excited. The passes were on point, the setters’ sets were amazing… I thought we all played absolutely wonderful.”         The Eagles will again have competition when they face Cincinnati Christian University at 11 a.m. and Indiana University Kokomo at 3 p.m. at home on Sept. 21.