Three finalists named for Kentucky education commissioner

The Kentucky Board of Education (KBE) Interview Committee held a meeting on March 8, in which three candidates were voted as finalists for the position of education commissioner. The candidates were announced on March 11; all three are Kentucky natives. 

These finalists will be interviewed by the full KBE in Louisville on March 18-19, with the goal of having a new commissioner named and submitted for consideration to the Kentucky Senate. The selected candidate will be the first to require Senate confirmation under a law passed by the General Assembly last year. 

The three candidates include:

Buddy Berry, Ed.D. – Superintendent of Eminence Independence Schools since 2010. He was previously a high school math teacher in Jefferson County and Owen County. Berry earned his doctorate in education leadership from Northern Kentucky University and his superintendent certification from Eastern Kentucky University. He has a master’s in instructional leadership from Bellarmine University, a master’s in secondary counseling from the University of Louisville and a bachelor’s in mathematics education from the University of Kentucky.

Robbie Fletcher, Ed.D. – Superintendent of Lawrence County Schools since 2014. His prior experience includes being a faculty member at Asbury University. He was also the principal, assistant principal and mathematics teacher in Martin County. Fletcher has a bachelor’s in mathematics from Morehead State University and a master’s in supervision and administration from the University of Kentucky. He received his doctorate in education and superintendency certification from Morehead State University. Fletcher is from Martin County. 

Jim Flynn, E.D. – Executive director of Kentucky Association of School Superintendents since 2019. Prior to that, he was the superintendent of Simpson County Schools for over 15 years. He has held positions as high school principal in Shelby County and served as vice president and high school science teacher in Warren County. Flynn earned his bachelor’s degree in biology from Western Kentucky University. He went on to receive his master’s in biology and secondary education from Texas A&M University at Corpus Christi and his doctorate in educational leadership from Northern Kentucky University. Flynn is from Bowling Green. 

In December, KBE hired McPherson & Jacobson LLC– an executive recruitment and development firm– to lead the search for a new commissioner. The firm has placed over 750 superintendents and other officials in public and nonprofit organizations nationwide. 

Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear has stated that since the departure of former education commissioner Jason Glass, it would be “much more difficult” to fill the position this time around. Interim Commissioner of Education Robin Fields Kinney will serve until the position is filled. 

“It is critical we get back to drawing national attention for progress and strength in education,” explained Brigitte Bloom, President of the Prichard Committee for Academic Excellence. “Solid, stable leadership focused on clear and measurable goals for the future is imperative. We wish the Kentucky Board of Education and each of the candidates well as the process continues to unfold. Kentucky’s future rests on this selection.”