Asbury Eagles Score Wins on the Courts and on the Diamond During Spring Break, Men’s and Women’s Tennis Remain Undefeated

Asbury University Athletics saw a mix of results on the fields and courts during their Spring Break trip, but overall, it was a week of strong performances and exciting wins.

Baseball Team Battles in Memphis

The Asbury Baseball team (7-8) faced tough competition on their Spring Break trip to Memphis. While they didn’t secure any wins, they showed resilience throughout the week. Graduate student pitcher Jackson Cole delivered a powerful performance against Grinnell College, striking out six batters in six innings. Despite Cole’s efforts, the Eagles fell short in a close game, losing 2-4.

Softball Team Rallies for Victories

The Asbury Softball team (6-6) had a successful Spring Break, winning 3 out of 7 games played. Their most impressive victory came against Anderson University. Freshman outfielder Abigail Moffat had a breakout performance with four hits, while senior leader Taylor Enlow dominated at the plate, driving in a whopping 6 runs. These key contributions secured a comeback win for the Eagles in a doubleheader split.

Dominant Tennis Takes Center Stage in Hilton Head

The Asbury Tennis teams stole the show in Hilton Head, South Carolina.  Both teams delivered undefeated performances, sweeping all their matches throughout the week.

• Men’s Tennis: Won all five matches (including against Gettysburg College 7-2 and Illinois Tech 7-2) to improve their record to an impressive 8-0 overall on the week and 6-2 for the season.
  • Women’s Tennis: Maintained their undefeated record, winning all six matches (including against Gettysburg College 6-3 and Illinois Tech 8-1) to stay perfect at 7-0 for the season.

Highlights from Hilton Head:

• Men’s Tennis:
    • Ignacio Ardiles secured a singles tie-break win and a No. 1 doubles win with Franco Patino.
    • Alejandro Caceres won a No. 1 singles tie-break match and took the No. 3 doubles win with Gregorio Bustingorri.
    • Andres Caceres and Ben Moore won a doubles match together and then each won their singles matches.
  • Women’s Tennis:
    • Ariadna Zegarra won a No. 1 singles tie-break match and took the No. 2 doubles win with Fernanda Heredia.
    • Fernanda Heredia won a doubles win (sweep) with Ariadna Zegarra and then Heredia took a key singles win.

Track and Field Debuts New Track with Stellar Performances

The Asbury Track and Field team celebrated the opening of their new track and field venue with a four-school meet on Saturday. Both the men’s and women’s teams finished runner-up, showcasing impressive times and personal bests.

• Freshman John Rabany broke the school record for the 100m with a time of 11.56 and qualified for the NCCAA Outdoor National Championships with his long jump of 6.46m (21-2.5ft).
  • Bailey Gassmann dominated the distance races, winning both the 1500m (5:02.66) and 3000m runs, also qualifying for the NCCAA Outdoor National Championships in the 1500m.
  • The Eagles secured seven victories on the day, with several personal and school records set.

Looking Ahead: A Season of Promise

Asbury Athletics looks forward to continuing their momentum as the season progresses. The Baseball team will use their Spring Break experience to learn and grow, while the Softball team aims to build upon their recent success.  The Tennis teams remain a force to be reckoned with, and all eyes will be on them as they strive to maintain their undefeated records.