The 39 Steps: Asbury Theater’s spring production

Asbury’s theater program is preparing to showcase their hard work on “The 39 Steps,” a comedy inspired by Alfred Hitchcock’s 1935 blockbuster spy thriller. This rendition features Malachi Bullock, Freshman Jazmyn Lorenzen, Junior Trueman Livingston, Junior Rebekah Bogle and many other students.

“The 39 Steps” is directed by Asbury Professor of Theater, Carol Anderson. Anderson graduated from UNC-Chapel Hill with a Master of Fine Arts in Theater and a Bachelor of Arts in Biblical Studies and American Studies from Barrington College. Anderson has been involved in the production of many other Asbury Theater shows, including “Godspell,” which was shown in 2022, and “Voice of the Prairie,” shown in 2021.

This play is loosely based on the first spy novel ever written: “The Thirty-Nine Steps,” by John Buchanan, which was published in 1915. This comedic adaptation of “The 39 Steps” follows the main character, Richard Hannay, as he is pulled into a life of thrill and mystery. While fleeing his flat with a mysterious woman he encountered, Hannay spends the remainder of the play trying to figure out what the “The 39 Steps” are.

“The main character, Hannay, is a guy who gets pulled into this spy thriller, and we basically follow his journey the whole way to save the day in the end,” said Junior Rebekah Bogle, who plays Mrs. McGarrigle, a Scottish Innkeeper.

While there are 14 cast members in this production, the majority of them play multiple characters in the show, contributing to its comedic flair. One actor might appear six different times on stage, each as another character with a different story to tell.

The cast of “The 39 Steps” has had a wonderful semester putting together this show, bonding as a team and making many memories in Miller, the communications building where the theater program practices.

“It’s a really fun play, and everyone in it is really encouraging to each other,” Bogle said. “It’s really fun to work with this group of people. Everybody is doing their very best, and the whole thing is really coming together.”

Not only is this play promised to provide each audience with a great deal of laughter and suspense, but it also has an encouraging message that the cast hopes to deliver and perform well.

“For me, the message is learning how to make the best of your life and find hope even in the most hopeless situations,” said Bogle.

“The 39 Steps” will run from February 22 through March 2, with matinee showings and evening performances. Tickets are $10 for students and senior citizens, $12 for staff and faculty, and $15 for general admission. It is a thrilling show with a talented cast you won’t want to miss!