Choral Valentine’s Day Concert: the sounds of the season of love

On the evening of February 15 in the Jameson Recital Hall, Asbury’s Music Department hosted a Choral Valentine’s Day Concert. The concert featured love poetry written by students, and the Women’s Choir, Men’s Glee Club and Chorale performed classic love songs. Students, faculty and staff, community members and the families of performers, all gathered in the Recital Hall to watch their loved ones take the stage. 

The concert began with the Asbury Women’s Choir. They opened with “My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion: the Love Theme from Titanic. The Women’s Choir also sang “Think on Me” by Mary Queen of Scots and “Love Story” by Taylor Swift. 

The Men’s Glee Club followed, beginning with “Happy Together” by Gary Bonner and Alan Gordon. They ended their time with a charismatic and heartfelt rendition of “Just the Way You Are” by Bruno Mars. 

As a brief pause from the music, Dr. Erin Penner came on stage to recognize the Student Poetry Contest Participants. The poetry contest is sponsored by the Asbury Music Department, which seeks to find original poetry dedicated to reflections on romantic love. There were 22 poems submitted, and they were judged by panelists outside of Asbury. Dr. Penner recognized the three honorable mentions of the contest and then revealed the top three finalists. 

The third-place recipient was Rissa Green, and the second-place recipient was Isabel Firster. The first-place winner and receiver of the $100 cash prize was Emelia Conley, a Junior and Communications major. Her winning poem, “The Outsider,” can be found on page 50 of Vol. 62 of The Asbury Review. 

“The Choral Valentine’s Day Concert creates a fun opportunity for poetry and music to blend together,” said Senior and Editor-In-Chief of The Asbury Review Emily Ellis. “It’s always exciting to submit to the love poetry contest while knowing that all your writing friends are submitting, too. It makes the announcement that much more exciting! It’s also another great opportunity to be able to hear what students are writing on campus. And who doesn’t love a good love poem?”

After Conley accepted her recognition for first place, the Asbury Chorale took the stage for their portion of the concert. They opened with “My Spirit Sang All Day,” which was originally written as a poem by Robert Bridges. They also sang “Come to Me,” another rendition of what was originally a poem by Christina G. Rossetti. Asbury Chorale concluded their performance with “Paddlin’ Madelin’ Home” by Harry Woods. 

As the Valentine’s Concert came to a close, the audience was invited to sing along with the Chorale to “Let Me Call You Sweetheart” by Leo Friedman and Beth Slater Wilson. The love song was lifted as the voices of the students on stage joined with the voices in the audience. 

The 2024 Choral Valentine’s Day Concert was a night to remember. Love songs were sung, beautifully written romantic poetry was read and recognized and smiles were shared between couples and friends in the audience sharing a holiday of love.