USA Today

Rangers run away with the 2023 World Series

The 2023 World Series has concluded, with the Texas Rangers coming out on top. They won a quick 4-1 series against the Arizona Diamondbacks. This was a historic moment for the league, marking their first World Series win in their 63 seasons as a franchise.

The fifth-seed Rangers made their way out of the Wild Card Series against the Tampa Bay Rays and past the Divisional Series against the Baltimore Orioles. They managed to defeat their home-state rivals and 2022 World Series champions, the Houston Astros, in the Championship Series in an intense 4-3 bout. 

Finally, after a 13-season drought without having been to a World Series, the Rangers had made it back. 

In game one, the Diamondbacks went up 5-3 in the fifth inning, but the Rangers were able to snag two more runs in the bottom of the ninth to tie things up, 5-5. The game went to two extra innings before the Rangers scored another run in the bottom of the 11th to win game one.

With a new sense of urgency, Arizona decimated the Rangers in game two, easily winning 9-1.

This, however, would be the last of their triumphs this season. Game three saw the Rangers put up three runs in the top of the third inning. Despite their best efforts, the Diamondbacks could do nothing to come back, losing game three 3-1.

On Halloween night, the Rangers and Diamondbacks both showed out on offense, resulting in a slugfest that ended with the Rangers winning game four 11-7.

Finally, on Nov. 1, the Diamondbacks seemed to have accepted their fate, letting the Rangers run away with a 5-0 victory in game five and securing their first World Series title in the history of their franchise.

The 2023 World Series MVP, Corey Seager, became the fourth player in MLB history to have won multiple World Series MVP titles and the first player to have been the World Series MVP in the National League and the American League. He had previously won the title in 2020 with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

“It truly is incredible, but it’s not just me, man,” Seager said after the game. “What this team did and how we competed and all the guys in there rallying, we don’t really have one leader. That whole clubhouse is the leadership.”