asbury newswatch

Asbury broadcasts live campus productions

TV screens in the library, cafeteria and the administration building now have new content to play.

In addition to broadcasting chapel, per usual, now adoring the screens are multiple Asbury productions like broadcast news’ Newswatch3 and ASDN’s game coverage.

After long discussions and hopes of getting student work broadcast throughout campus, the media communications department has accomplished its goal.

“It’s born out of the athletic department and the idea that we were doing live streaming already,” said Don Mink, the Media Comm Operations Manager. “The idea is to up the production value of what we’re doing.”

With the scale and quality of the ASDN production improving under Colton Back and the new grad assistant producer, Faith Osborne, the content is a way to improve the connection across campus.

“That’s the big thing is you’re trying to make connections with everybody. You’re trying to get the student body more involved, to say, hey, we need to be there,” Mink said.

Abby Laub, Asbury’s Director of Strategic Communications, sees the same vision of connection as Mink.

“I think having additional content on the screens could be beneficial for campus connection and helping students feel and be more involved with their peers, and faculty and staff,” Laub said.

The screens can act like billboards reminding students who are going about their daily lives to show up for the game, or it gives them options to view the coverage and commentary the Atheltic Department puts on.

“Two things came to the forefront in terms of reasoning, and that would be one we would bridge between athletics and the rest of campus,” Mink said.

When it comes to the students involved in the productions, it also gives them a bigger platform for their work to go, and it gives a sense of immediacy with a fully live production.

“The second reason is in terms of production it gives,” Mink said. “Out of the media department, I want experience for our students, and I want the experience to mean something. The more we get it in front of people, the higher the standard gets pushed.”

Mink says it is all about telling a story and that broadcasting the shows gives that a platform.

“We want people to see the effort and the excellence that goes into it and then go to the games. But that rotates back to if they’re seeing it, then we’re doing a good job of telling the story.”

The broadcasting also gives students unaware of the productions a unique ability to get involved. Newswatch3 is a student-run broadcast in the spring, and ASDN is a paid opportunity for students to work in various sports broadcast roles.

“I am so excited to see this happen,” Laub said. “I love watching Newswatch and ADSN when I’m able, and it would be delightful to see them with additional reach on campus.”

Thursday was the second time Newswatch3 premiered live on the screens around campus. 

ASDN began broadcasting its games last week during the men’s basketball season opener and will continue to cover the home games this weekend for men’s basketball and soccer.