unsplash

A deeper dive into the Canon

Kevin Anderson, a Christian studies professor at Asbury University, recently published a new book entitled “Hebrews and the General Epistles”. This book is part of a series “Reading and Interpreting the Bible Series.” 

Anderson was invited to write this book by Dr. Alex Varughese. He has taught the course at Asbury dealing with Hebrew and the General Epistles, so he saw fit to write on this topic. 

The series that this book follows alongside includes books that tackles a particular part of the canon of Scripture (e.g., the Pauline Epistles, Hebrews and the General Epistles, Revelation).

Each volume of the series seeks to guide readers into understanding the unique features of a given type of biblical literature, beginning with the literary genre (gospel, history, letter, prophecy, wisdom literature, etc.).

“Each volume also provides a methodology for approaching a respective part of the canon, along with representative samples of how to interpret passage within it,” said Anderson.

Anderson’s volume of the series was intended to approach Hebrews, James, 1-2 Peter, 1-3 John, and Jude from a canonical perspective. 

“This is in contrast to a historical-critical approach to these books, which has treated them in a way that disconnects and isolates each book from the others,” said Anderson. 

Hebrews shares links, both literary and theological, with Paul’s letters; but it also sounds out theological themes that are integral to the fabric of the General Epistles. 

“Reading Hebrews and the General Epistles canonically means taking seriously where they are placed within the New Testament canon, as well as how they are sequenced in such a way as to interact with one another,” said Anderson. “My work is unique in that it argues that the Letter to the Hebrews acts as a kind of canonical bridge between the Pauline Epistles and the General Epistles.” 

What Hebrews and the so-called “seven Catholic Epistles” have in common is the aim of encouraging Christian discipleship that involves radical commitment to Christ and trust in God’s stabilizing grace. 

“The result should be a life of wholeness and holiness that stands firm in God’s grace rather than falling away from Him, thus providing an assurance of salvation, said Anderson.”

This book series was a bit of a shift from what Anderson was used to, but he was prepared for the challenge. 

“This was a challenging book to write, since I had to grapple with an interpretive method that I have been warming up to increasingly over the past decade or so,” said Anderson. Paradigm shifts are difficult to make.”

Hebrews is such a rich and sophisticated book both rhetorically and theologically. Whereas, the General Epistles present a host of unique challenges which can be exciting to dive into, but can also be frustrating. 

“Hebrews is a book I love, and I will wrestle with it for the rest of my life,” said Anderson. 

“A more focused theological interpretation of all eight books helps to see how all of them work together to communicate a number of theological truths that are applicable to readers both ancient and modern,” said Anderson. 

Anderson hopes that those who are interested in the Bible, especiallyhe g the books of Hebrews and James, will be able to utilize resources such as this one; and that it will “introduce them to the challenges of interpreting this part of the canon”. 

I offer viewers with a method of interpretation that will help them dig into each book individually, as well as get a theological vision of how they have been providentially placed together to communicate truths about Christian discipleship,” said Anderson

Anderson believes that these eight books of the Bible have often been forgotten and neglected. 

Hopefully, this study will give people a sure-footed introduction to reading and interpreting them,” said Anderson.