Moni Monica

The Activities Fair 2023

With the dangerous heat of the Aug. 24 sun, the Collaborative Learning Center was packed for Asbury’s 2023 Activities Fair. Normally held outside on the semi-circle green, the event was moved indoors for safety of students and volunteers due to a record heat index for the summer. 

The Activities Fair provides Asbury students the incredible opportunity to get to know Asbury’s campus and the surrounding Wilmore community. 

Around one corner of the lobby was a line of community churches talking with students about their church family and their college ministries. Our campus ministries and spiritual life groups such as WGM, OMS, and SASF scattered themselves around the building for students to see. The fair highlighted campus clubs and student groups like The Asbury Review, Tumbling Team, VIDA (Visible and Invisible Disabilities Association), Delight, and so much more. 

Education professor and Beloved class sponsor Brittany Worthen says that the event gives new and returning students the opportunity to “get familiar with what’s available on campus and begin to branch out.”

Asbury junior Olivia Angert says that “The activities fair allows me the chance to see the countless opportunities that are available for me to get plugged into the community both on and off campus.” 

“It allows students to build relationships outside of their circle and get more involved in their class or with their major,” said Lydia Massengale, who works closely with conference services.

“I hope that the students realize that people care and that people want to pour into the students from all different avenues,” said Massengale.

Along with so much information, there were a bunch of free goodies and snacks for the students to enjoy. The Adventure Leadership table was placed outside where they built a fire and gave away marshmallows to passersby. Ale8 bottles could be seen everywhere, as they are consistently an Activities Fair fan favorite – especially with this year’s heat wave. 

The Activities Fair is the perfect first week activity for students. It is easy to join Asbury’s campus and miss out on all of the opportunities students’ have to get plugged into campus and community life. By having so many of these opportunities in one place, students get a chance to see what aspects of Asbury life they want to explore.