John Teoh

Students dance the night away at SAC’s Silent Disco

Stomping feet and sways to an unheard beat filled the Student Center last Saturday night. Over 300 students danced the night away at Asbury’s first school-wide Silent Disco hosted by Student Activities Cabinet on Aug. 26.

With headphones tailored for an event such as this, students adjusted the volume and music that they wanted to listen and dance to, with a specific color indicating to others what they were listening to. 

“The fun part is that silent disco allows people to jam out to a song on a channel different from their neighbor, but everyone can dance together and enjoy the event,” SAC Team Lead Melissa Richard said. 

At one point in the night, all dancers switched their channels to dance to a fan favorite.

“One of my most favorite moments was when the Cupid Shuffle came on,” SAC Staff Advisor Liz Louden said. “Slowly, all of them turned to the green station, and everyone was doing the Cupid Shuffle.”

Aside from hanging out with friends, everyone was able to dance to the songs that they love most. 

“It was really good to hear some blasts from the past as well as modern jams. I honestly felt like a kid again just dancing all night with all of my friends,” sophomore Aiden Jones said. 

SAC strives to keep community at the forefront of their events. 

“One of our goals as an SAC team is to create an open, engaging, and welcoming environment for the student body to build community,” Richard said.

This event is now certainly a fan favorite for the Asbury community, as students stayed an extra thirty minutes past the cut-off time of 10:30 p.m., and silent disco will be returning in the future. 

“We couldn’t do these amazing events without the Student Activities Cabinet,” Louden said. “Students turned out and turned up! We can’t wait to silent disco again soon.”