Asbury remembers Justin Spoon

Justin Spoon, a beloved student, son and friend— and the most accomplished male cross country student-athlete in Asbury history—passed away on March 23, 2023. He was 24. 

The two-time team captain and member of the graduating class of 2021 was diagnosed with Rhabdomyosarcoma, a highly aggressive form of cancer, halfway through his senior year. Spoon battled the disease for over two years with chemotherapy and numerous surgeries. 

Throughout this struggle, he was a glorifying and consistent witness for Christ. He inspired and encouraged other cancer patients, his team of medical professionals, friends, family, and others who followed his victories and setbacks online and marveled at the strength of his character and faith.

“Justin was always paying attention,” friend and Asbury graduate Sophia Riley said. “He and I could talk about everything (and we practically did). I loved his sense of humor. His bad taste in movies, and his ability to see the good in everything.”

Head coach Dr. Randy Crist added that Spoon was the “most successful competitive career of any male runner in the 53 years of the Asbury Cross Country program.” Yet, he was so much more. 

“He exemplified everything we strive for in Asbury Athletics, academic excellence, spiritual vitality, and athletic success,” Crist told Asbury Eagles. “Justin’s work ethic in practice was incredible. His smile and laugh were infectious, and his Christian character was inspiring. He was loved by his teammates and will be greatly missed by all of us.” 

Off the course, Spoon was involved all around campus. He was a member of the Asbury Men’s Glee Club, along with holding a position as Asbury Spiritual Life Coordinator (SLC) and a Spiritual Life Assistant (SLA). His athletic accomplishments included: Four-time River States All-Conference in Cross Country and Track, Two-time NAIA National Championship qualifier, NAIA Scholar Athlete, River States Conference Scholar Athlete, Two-time Cross Country Team Captain, Asbury school record holder and Individual Champion of 2020 Greater Louisville Invitational.

However, senior and Spoon’s former teammate Kyla Rowell said she admired Spoon for his heart, calling him a “role model.”

“He loved God and everyone he met selflessly,” she said. “When you were around him, he made you laugh and feel like you could be yourself. He always pushed you to be and do your best.”

The university and cross-country program is honoring Spoon’s legacy by renaming the annual Asbury Chick-fil-A Invitational to include his name. This will ensure the sentimental opportunity to share the Justin Spoon story of character, commitment, leadership and ministry for many years to come at Asbury.