Jessamine County author holds children’s art contest

Jessamine County author Jodie Campbell is holding an art competition for children until the end of March.

Campbell is the author of the upcoming children’s book called There Was A Zookeeper. For the competition, Campbell is asking children across the U.S. to submit their own versions of her book’s initial cover sketch.

“Followers of my journey love when I share the illustration process of my children’s book pages on social media. It starts with my initial sketch that I give to the illustrator, Alexey. He then does his pen and ink interpretation and sends it back to me. Once I approve, he begins his final color work. I thought it would be fun for children to take my initial sketch of one of the pages and draw their interpretation of what they see,” Campbell told the Jessamine Journal.

Campbell’s illustrator, Ukrainian artist Alexey Chrystikov, will be judging submissions.

Children in kindergarten through fifth grade may submit artwork for the contest. Entrants are allowed to enter one submission each. Those in kindergarten through second grade are asked to draw one of the animals depicted in the sketch: a bear, an elephant, a kangaroo, or a raccoon. Entrants in third through fifth grades are asked to draw the full sketch with all four animals included. Two winners will be chosen, one from each age group.

Children can submit artwork created in any medium.

“The brighter the colors, the better it will photograph,” Campbell said.

The contest will run until March 31. Chrystikov will announce the winners on April 15. The winners will receive a gift basket of art supplies and books, and will be featured on Campbell’s social media accounts alongside Chrystikov’s finalized cover art.

Art pieces can be submitted through Campbell’s Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/jodiecampbellauthor by posting a photo of the artwork under the official There Was A Zookeeper Contest post.

Teachers can send photos to Campbell at jodiecampbellauthor@yahoo.com. Campbell will then upload entries to her Facebook author page for them.

Entries should include the child’s first name and grade level.