Homebound: the new AWC album

Asbury Worship Collective (AWC) has officially debuted its newest album, “Homebound.” It features nine original songs, written by band members and a songwriting team, and two covers. 

On March 3 and 4, students, faculty, outside members of Wilmore and beyond gathered in the CLC for the live album recording. It is a tradition put on every year by Asbury’s Worship Arts department

Students involved spend the summer songwriting. They also meet to discuss potential concepts and overarching themes. The fall and spring semesters are spent workshopping songs, narrowing lists and practicing. Past records have included “Kingdom,” “Alpha & Omega,” “Mountain” and more. 

This year, senior and album producer Ashley Schumacher said the writers all ended up writing on or about one concept about unity: home. 

“We decided that our theme should be centered on how the Body of Christ has one goal in mind and that is home,” said Schumacher. Since everyone has different life journeys in the pursuit of home, “we are all “Homebound” for the Kingdom,” Schumacher said. “It’s how I chose the new name of this year’s album.”

She casts the credit to the Holy Spirit. She believes the album caters to the needs and wants of the Asbury student body. Especially after the recent outpouring, Schumacher recognized the nights of the recordings would be best spent creating space. The team put effort into creating a relaxed space where people were “comfortable being who they are” in God’s presence. 

The stage resembled a garden outside. Fake plants wrapped around the microphones and music stands. A recording of nature, including birds chirping, played as you walked in. People were free to sit in the few back rows, on the ground or stand in the front to worship. 

“I feel like I had no idea the extent to how artistic it was,” freshman Ellie Hasseloff said. “The way they had the setup of the stage. How much intention went into this album and the kind of picture they portrayed throughout the songs and the album.”

The album itself remained contemplative and conversational. Most songs have a “need to be digested by listening and singing,” according to Schumacher. She said AWC desired for people to “feel like they are not alone on their journey in pursuit of home.”

“We have lament songs about the human experience in times of trial but then the songs after that show the redemptive side of the journey we all take,” she said. “I want people to know that God is always there even amidst the tragedies and shortcomings of life.”

Senior vocalist and acoustic player Mattie Anderson agreed. She said her favorite part was the story the band told as a whole. 

“This album is very story based and centric,” Anderson said. “It was just really special.”

Junior Braeden Bisher also offered vocals and acoustic guitar on the album. He called being a part of the project “an honor.” He also admitted he was at “a loss of words” after the recordings. 

“It was special to see all that effort and all that work, all of the emotions and hard days and good days be displayed,” he said.

As someone who has been in the audience for the past three albums released, junior Zoe Gabbard said she enjoyed the worship experience. 

“This is the first year that I’ve known a lot of the band, and been friends with them,” she said. “So, it’s just really cool to see the gifts that God has given to them and turn it back into worship.” 

She added that her favorite part was how God moves through words, unknowingly picking up on the theme of unity Schumacher desired from the very beginning. 

“They wrote these songs to deal with their own struggles, but little did they know that it resonates with so many people in the community as well,” said Gabbard. 

Overall, the album seemed to be a hit. Yet, the band hopes that God continues to use the work they did even with people beyond Asbury. 

“Every song is a story, and there is something to be heard there,” Bisher said. “I hope it can impact other people.”