Asbury women’s golf battles in Richmond

The Asbury women’s golf team traveled to Richmond, KY this past weekend for their second out of four competitions in the spring 2023 campaign. The tournament was hosted by Alice Lloyd College at the Battlefield Golf Course.

​​The Lady Eagles are coming off of their first tournament six hours away at the Cherokee Ridge Golf Club in Union Grove, AL where junior Maddie Heineman earned a dominant top ten finish. 

Facing tough competition this past weekend, Asbury placed ninth out of nine teams with a combined score of 811 as a squad. Due to gusts of up to 60 miles per hour, playing conditions were brutal. The competition included competitors from Indiana Tech, Brescia, Oakland City, Saint Mary of the Woods College, Virginia Wise, Bluffton, Rend Lake Community College and Shawnee State. Indiana Tech took home the title shooting 663 with Brescia and Oakland City not far behind with scores of 684 and 686.

Freshman Anna Hunsinger said; “Having everyone there, it was much more enjoyable since it was the first invitation as a team this spring. We didn’t have our best days out on the course, but it was so much easier to play golf and have fun with the other girls. Especially encouraging one another, I feel like our dynamic will grow because we are learning to compete and support each other as a team now.”

Junior Maddie Heineman scored the best for the Eagles with a total par of +26 and a total score of 175. She tied for the rank of 18 in the tournament. Freshman Trinity Reis finished 36 among the competitors with a total par of +42 and a total score of 188.

Senior Gracie Turner returned for her first golf tournament since she experienced a severe back injury. 

“It felt good to be back,” Turner said. “I missed it and I will never take it for granted again. I’m just happy I can end the season with my team in the right way.” 

The Lady Eagles will travel back to Richmond, KY, for their next tournament starting Monday, April 3 through Tuesday, April 4. Berea will be hosting this college invite at Boone’s Trace National Golf Club. 

Finally Asbury will conclude their spring campaign at the Spalding Invite in Louisville, KY starting April 15 through April 16.