Asbury basketball concludes

Asbury basketball was in action this past weekend on the national stage, both Eagle squads traveling five hours to Winona Lake, IN.

The men’s team wrapped up their 2022-23 campaign by winning their second game in two days last Friday, March 17. Their performance in the National Tournament landed them in fifth place overall after falling short on day one, March 16, against Clinton College 86-83.

They took down Sterling College in their season finale 93-80. Asbury’s defense held Sterling to 70 points, and only three made threes. The Eagles outrebounded Sterling by 14 and dished out 21 assists, the Warriors only having 10. 

Forward Nick Fort dropped 31 points, 12 for 22 shooting, and four conversions from beyond the arc. Fort also grabbed 10 rebounds for his 18th double-double of the season. 

“This was a great way to end the season and send off the seniors,” Fort told asburyeagles.com; “This is a special team, and the bonds I have made will last a lifetime. I’m proud of all we have accomplished this season!”

Sophomore Forward Clayton Winter also had a stellar night with a season-high 20 points and 10 boards. John Shoulders, a senior guard, scored double-digits against the Warriors for the third straight game, adding 13 points with three from downtown. 

Senior Forward Lezra Means showed out in his final game for the Eagles with seven rebounds, four assists, and four points. Senior and Junior Guards Dakota Walden and Caleb Wallis created nine assists combined and five boards. 

The women’s team took on regional opponent Kentucky Christian also for fifth place in the National Tournament, as well as their final game of the 2022-2023 season. The Lady Eagles wrapped up their season and the tournament with a dominant win over KCU, 75-45.

Sophomore Guard Haleigh Releford stepped up to lead AU to victory against the Knights, leading the squad with 23 points and five steals. She went 10 for 17 in the field, a season-high, and landed three shots from beyond the arc, also a season-high. 

Junior Guard Trinity Shearer was another key player for Asbury snagging 16 points, four boards, and three assists. Sophomore guard Tiffani Riley was another massive help to the Eagle’s 75 points, leading the team in four assists, seven points and two steals. Freshman Guard Morgan Flannery found an efficient nine points against Kentucky Christian, all from three-pointers. 

Senior Guard Cheyenne Fullwood told the Asbury Eagles: “We ended the season with a great team win. We wanted to end this season on a high note, and we did just that. We had some rough patches throughout the season but came together and pulled through. I’m so thankful to have played with and done life with these amazing girls these past four years. Basketball is just a game, but it has brought me a bunch of lifelong sisters.”

Both teams battled hard all season, placing fifth in their respective tournament brackets. The men’s team finished 21-7 on the season, and the women’s team finished 19-11 to conclude the 2022-23 campaign.