A thank you to Asbury post-revival

February of 2023 has once again placed Asbury in the history books. 

Whatever terminology history might choose, revival or outpouring, what happened at Asbury was unprecedented. It was full of goodness, yes. But we also recognize that it was also a cause of immense anxiety and restless nights. With over triple the population of Wilmore entering this campus within two weeks (especially in one weekend), action had to be taken to protect the spiritual environment of the revival and the safety and well-being of our students. 

This is a thank you to every person who sacrificed throughout the revival to protect students’ safety, make space for their mental and spiritual health, and foster the atmosphere on campus. 

As a third-generation Asbury student, my experience with the revival has been complicated. 

My grandparents were here during the 1970 revival. My parents had a revival during their time here in the early nineties. What I heard over and over again was that this revival was uncharted territory. 

The common consensus is that social media placed this on the radar of people worldwide, drawing them to Wilmore. This complicated the revival in a way that Asbury had not seen before. It put Asbury under a microscope. Every decision made and every action taken was under scrutiny. It placed immense pressure on those facilitating this event. However, one consistent notion, whether by alumni, students or strangers, was praise for the administration. 

To President Brown: Thank you for standing at the forefront of these events, facilitating our organization while remarkably stewarding the Holy Spirit. Thank you for being a face to the public and enduring the scrutiny you may have received. Thank you for hearing the voices of the people, alumni, and students and valuing God’s voice above all. We thank you for prioritizing students from day one of this event. You have balanced the nature of Asbury as a university and the moving of the spirit in a remarkable way, and we are all grateful for that. 

To Greg Haseloff: thank you for the late nights you dedicated to these students. There was never a moment where you did not continue to check in with members of this community as you always have. Thank you for remembering names after one meeting and never failing to make students feel seen and loved, even amidst this chaos. 

To Sarah Baldwin: thank you for continuing to facilitate campus life and lead this movement in commitment to God’s gifts of community and love. You have facilitated with such a humble and genuine heart. Thank you for lifting students’ voices and lovingly leading on this campus. 

Thank you to Jeannie Banter, Madeline Black, and Zach Meerkreebs for leading these services with humility and discernment. We are so grateful for the sacrifice of your time to remain present on campus and available for students. 

Thank you to every professor who has maintained our learning and created space for conversation and processing with students. You have reminded us why we choose a school like Asbury, where professors know us by name and care about our well-being authentically. 

Thank you to our resident directors— Liz, Laura, Emily, Zack and Matt— for meeting with us and checking in. Thank you for maintaining the Abide Room, and providing us snacks, fun activities and cushions to pray or sleep on. It was exactly what we needed. 

Thank you to the Strategic Communications department for guiding the media as they requested multiple student interviews. Your knowledge and discernment allowed God’s love and our testimonies to be shared. In a world where anyone can twist words and social media videos, your actions allowed the truth to be told. Your actions kept us safe. 

I thank everyone who made decisions behind closed doors to keep our student body physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally secure and prioritized. This administration has continued putting students at the forefront of these events, and our campus is incredibly grateful for that. Each leader has upheld the voices of students who were enthusiastic about the events and those who had reservations and chose to remain separate from Hughes. 

To everyone who volunteered to usher, maintain security and clean up after the thousands of guests we had— we thank you for everything. 

I know I will not be able to name everyone who dedicated themselves to service during the revival but thank you to everyone who did. We see and appreciate you and are forever changed for the better because of your willingness to be humble servants, just as Jesus was. We see Jesus in you, and we thank you.