Love fills Jameson through Valentine’s Day concert

The day of love is hallmarked by hearts, chocolate, roses and huge teddy bears. At Asbury, a Valentine’s Day tradition continued.

The Women’s Choir, Men’s Glee Club and Chorale put on their annual Choral Valentine Concert in Jameson Recital Hall on Feb 14 at 8 pm.

Songs included ones expressing God’s love for us (for example, How Deep the Father’s Love for Us), our love for God (for example, Set Me as a Seal from Song of Solomon & Ubi caritas), and our love for each other (for example, You’ll be in My Heart from Tarzan, & Let Me Call You Sweetheart). 

There were also a few beautiful love poems set to music (for example, When I Hear Her I Have Wings; Come Away, Sweet Love; and Where Your Barefoot Walks). Finally, there were also a couple of humorous songs (for example, The Stuttering Lovers; and Ballad of the Cross-Eyed Sailor). 

So often everyone gets swept up by the commercial aspect of the holiday, but the music department creates a concert to remind everyone about not only the love for each other but the love God continuously has for us.

According to Dr. Mark Schell, approximately 150-200 people were in attendance and “they all seemed to have a wonderful evening.” 

He accredited the students’ hard work and Dr. Vicki Bell for her leadership. 

“All three groups began practicing for this program at the beginning of the semester. Dr. Bell did a great job coordinating the program,” said Schell. “All in all, a wonderful way to spend the evening of Valentine’s Day!”