Rebecca Hedman

Greathouse Theatre presents: Electra

The Greathouse Theatre is kicking off its spring season with the tragedy Electra by Sophocles, running Feb. 24-26 and Mar. 3-5.

The production is directed by Catherine Gaffney, using Frank McGuinness’ verse translation of the original Greek. Andrew Cox 

“What happens when loss and loneliness turn into revenge and hate? An ancient story that reverberates today,” reads the story synopsis. “After her father is killed, Electra plots to murder his murderer. Generations of vengeance, betrayal, and deceit… Can the cycle ever be broken?”

Freshman Kaity McCracken and senior Nic Joransen star as the vengeful Electra and her fate-driven brother Orestes, respectively. The siblings seek justice against their cruel mother, Queen Clytemnestra, and stepfather, Aegisthus, portrayed by seniors Christa Lain and Nate Thomas. Rounding the cast are sophomore Rixa Clark as Chrysothemis, senior Joshua Curry as Orestes’ servant, junior Eswin Monroy as Pylades, and a Greek chorus consisting of Ella Anderson, Katie Jornod, and Hannah Young.

The play is organized by Kris Dietrich, Asbury University’s new Director of Theatre as of fall 2021. Dietrich also organized the fall semester’s production of “Voice of the Prairie.”