Volleyball team’s back-to-back wins, celebrates seniors

Asbury’s volleyball team won back-to-back games and celebrated its seniors. On Oct.1, the women took on Rio Grande in a five-set thriller. After a very close and competitive match, the Eagles took the win 3-2 the following day, which was also Senior Day, against West Va. Tech. After losing the first set, the Eagles fought back and won the next three sets and the match 3-1. 

Before the match on Saturday, the seniors on the team were recognized. Sydney Fleshood, Hannah Morris, Bethany Fye, Kenzie Harmon, and team manager Tasha Matthews celebrated with their families and team.. 

Throughout the years, seniors like Bethany Fye have taken away many life lessons when it comes to being a college athlete. “One big takeaway from being on the women’s volleyball team is that it is important to be able to balance sports, school work, and a social life,” said Fye, “Another takeaway has to be that finding your identity in Christ is more important than all other aspects of your athletic career. I had to learn the hard way that being an athlete is not more important than being a child of God.”

Friday’s game saw the Eagles win the first two sets. However, though they were one set away from winning the match, Rio Grande fought back and won the next two sets, despite the Eagles bringing the fourth set to a 23-23 tie at the end. Nevertheless, the Eagles rallied to regain the lead and win the match in a 15-12 fifth set. 

On Senior Day, despite a rocky start, with a 20-25 first set loss, the Eagles did not get discouraged and instead came together to win the next three sets, with the second ending in a blowout 25-10. 

By the end of the weekend, the volleyball team got themselves two back-to-back wins in their pockets. Not only that, but the seniors on the team are looking forward to their last season as an Asbury Eagle. “I am looking forward to ending our season strong and hopefully moving onto nationals in Florida,” said Fye, “I am also excited to be able to play with some of my best friends and share some great memories along the way.”

The next volleyball game is today at 8pm against Mount Vernon Nazarene in Nazarene, Ohio