One Mission Society reopens to offer cross-cultural opportunities

One Mission Society (OMS) re-opens after three years to assist Asbury students in their spiritual lives both on campus and across the globe.

OMS had closed back in 2018 because it lacked an organizational director. Due to this offset, the mission society was unable to utilize all its assets and worldwide connections until 2021.

Three years later, David Schnake was called by God to re-open OMS, the same organization that his parents worked for more than 40 years ago, to help raise up the next generation of Christian leaders and missionaries while providing a spiritual safe place for current students.

The organization has missionaries serving in over 75 nations in mission fields established all over the world. 

OMS is also looking at the future possibilities of cross-cultural experience (CCE) in Medellin, Colombia, Budapest, Hungary, or Thailand. More information will be posted in November by the Great Commission Congress in the spring of 2022.

He expressed that during these mission trips, attending students are not embarking on a “traditional,” stereotypical third world country trip that is merely conversion-based, but is a culture-filled environment that will help to solidify spiritual foundations, as well as allow students to showcase their vocational gifts.  

“We want to help you get on the mission field,” said Schnake. However, we are also interested in discipling students as they are seeking how they can use their gifts, abilities, and career as a calling.”

As well as cross-cultural opportunities, the OMS organization sponsors events and forums that allow Asbury students to strengthen their walk in faith. A student-led forum, Cô-Seek, meets on Tuesday evenings, and is committed to meeting students where they are at and engaging together in authentic conversations about faith and life. 

Schnake, also at the OMS center, will host an upcoming men’s bible study, where the men of campus can come together for an evening in God’s word, followed by an NFL Thursday Night Football Game.

Along with Cô-Seek and the men’s Bible study/football combination, Schnake and his wife, Janelle Schnake, will launch “front porch ministries,” which is an opportunity to connect with students one on one while either sipping tea on the front porch or mentoring over a home-cooked meal.

Many of the international groups congregate at the OMS Asbury Student Center. Groups such as the Asian Student Alliance, Intercultural Group Leaders, and the Asbury minority student groups enjoy game nights, food and karaoke, along with scheduled bi-weekly meetings and get togethers.

“As much as we want to send students to the mission field and help those that are called,” said Schnake, “we also want to help students, in general, to draw closer to the Lord.”For information on One Mission Society and its upcoming and current events, visit  https://www.oms-asbury.com/