One last “Shot at a Million”

“Shot at a Million,” Team Kentucky’s COVID-19 vaccine incentive lottery program, announced its final winners.

The program allowed Kentucky residents who received at least the first shot of any of the three COVID-19 vaccines a chance to win $1 million, or a full-ride scholarship for applicants under 18. The program was first announced on June 4 and was divided out in three drawings over the next two months, this being the third and final drawing.

Since its announcement, 762,174 Kentucky residents have entered for the $1 million, while 47,544 entered for the scholarship.

The final $1 million jackpot, announced Aug. 27, went to Mary Mattingly, a Louisville resident. Mattingly was traveling when Gov. Andy Beshear called. She celebrated her victory on the side of the road when she got the news. 

“At the time of the call I was excited, very grateful and a little overwhelmed,” Mattingly told WLWT5. “I still want to scream and run around, but I feel like I have to get serious.”

While Mattingly was unable to attend the announcement of her win in person, she did receive a spotlight on the governor’s Team Kentucky pandemic update that same afternoon, during which she urged others to get vaccinated. 

“I want to use this opportunity to encourage each of you to get the shot of hope,” Mattingly said to Beshear’s viewers. “The vaccines cannot stop every case, but they can greatly reduce your chances of acquiring a serious, long-term or fatal case of COVID-19.”In addition, five full-ride scholarships were announced: Marissa Herron of Mount Washington, Lillie Nielson of Nicholasville, Jordan Ballard of Crestwood, Grider Burch of Lexington, and Jaden Wattley of Louisville. At the announcement of the winners, Burch expressed gratitude at those who received the vaccine, while Nielson said “it relieves … that stress of having to think about how I’m going to go to school.”