Vaccination rates increase in U.S. and Kentucky

The COVID-19 vaccine distribution rate is constantly increasing as Americans gain access to the vaccine. 

As the largest widespread vaccine campaign in the world, the U.S. has an average of 3.52 million doses of a COVID-19 vaccine administered on a 7-day average, according to National Public Radio. Bloomberg reported 29.6% of Americans have received the vaccine as of April 12.

“In the U.S., the latest vaccination rate is 3,214,893 doses per day, on average,” Bloomberg reported. “At this pace, it will take another 3 months to cover 75% of the population.”

When 75% of the population is vaccinated, a sense of normalcy should be able to return.

“Researchers have estimated that around 70% to 85% of the country needs to be immune to the coronavirus for COVID-19 to stop spreading through communities and peter out,” NPR reported.

In Kentucky, 23.7% of the population is vaccinated, and 36.2% has at least one dose of a vaccine. Eligibility has opened for those 16 years and older. Once 2.5 million people in the state of Kentucky are vaccinated, restrictions will begin to shift.

“Once 2.5 million Kentuckians get at least their first shot, [Beshear] will lift most restrictions including capacity limits on bars and restaurants,” the Courier Journal reported. “Calling it the ‘Team Kentucky vaccination challenge,’ Beshear said the state needs about 950,000 more people to get the vaccine, with about 1.5 million already having received at least the first dose.”

The virus is still prevalent in Kentucky, with a 568 7-day average according to USA Facts. LEX18 reported the positivity rate in Kentucky as 3.16% on Monday.

“That is the highest in about a month, so we’ve got to be watching that,” Gov. Beshear said. “We should be wary, we should see what is going on in other states, we should get everyone out to get vaccinated.”