McDonald breaks record, Eagles victorious

Senior Will McDonald is the all-time wins leader in Asbury baseball history after the team defeated Toccoa Falls on Feb. 5.

The Asbury Eagles attended the Score International Invitational in Hoover, Alabama, on Feb. 5-6 to open their season. On the first day of the invitational Asbury played Toccoa Falls. Asbury won both games, 9-5 and 13-3.

McDonald’s record-breaking win occurred in the first game. He pitched five innings allowing one run and struck out three batters. His performance contributed to the team’s win and crowned him Asbury baseball’s winningest pitcher 

The Asbury offense was another major factor to the team’s win. They scored nine runs off of ten hits. 

The trend of strong pitching and hot bats continued in the second game against Toccoa Falls. Asbury immediately took the lead in the second game to continue their momentum into game two.

Sophomore Alec Lush started the game on the mound, where he stayed for three innings, allowing one earned run. Freshman Jackson Cole entered the game to relieve Lush. Cole did not allow any hits or runs and struck out four in three innings. Freshman Caleb Poll closed the game by striking out two batters in the final inning. 

Asbury’s offense performed well the entire game. They opened the game by scoring four runs in the first inning. In total, the Eagles scored thirteen runs on thirteen hits. 

Asbury finished the weekend by defeating Trinity International University at the invitational on February 6. The second game of the doubleheader was cancelled due to weather.