A Splash of Color

Friday nights can feel like they come out of nowhere. Often throughout the week, students are so focused on completing the next assignment or task on their to-do list they may not make time to plan activities for when they do at last have time to relax. However, there are some simple ways to deal with this dilemma.  

One way the Student Development department has resolved to meet this need is through the new Student Activities Committee, otherwise known as SAC. SAC is staffed by a group of students who work on planning events for all of campus.

“SAC’s mission … is just to provide spaces for students to gather,” said Joy Pidgorodetska, one of the organizers for SAC’s most recent event. “Especially with COVID, people don’t see each other as often anymore so [we try to] create fun events to draw people out.”

On Friday, Jan. 29, SAC held a t-shirt tie-dying event in the Student Center. They also provided bubble tea as the signature refreshment for the night.

A lot of planning goes into the creation of these events beforehand. 

“We were planning different events and trying to decide some new stuff that Asbury hasn’t really seen,” said Max Borden, the other chief organizer of the tie-dye event.

“When I think of tie-dye my mind goes to VBS and sometimes I think the Asbury community is sometimes more like a super fun church camp community,” said Borden. 

While SAC hosts a wide variety of events, the underlying goals remain the same.

“I think we just want to create a space for students to come and hang out and have fun but also just to relax, and this is a pretty laid-back event, not a lot going on, and just for students to express their creativity … students can take it and run with it,” said Pidgorodetska.

“It gives a little bit of color to the dreariness of winter. I feel like sometimes winter nights are so boring; this is just something that people can come to brighten up their day,” said Borden.

Organizers also spoke to their favorite aspect of being part of the SAC team.

“I always like seeing all the faces coming through. Everyone is enjoying the same event. No matter what you’re doing with your life you set it aside for a night to engage with others,” said Borden.

While SAC is a new structure this year, organizers seem to be pleased with the way it has worked so far. The high level of coordination and lots of available hands has made it easier to pull off successful events than in the past. 

Members of SAC are grateful that they have continued to see high turnout at the things they organize.

Upcoming events students can look out for include a line dance on Saturday, Feb. 5 in the Luce and a craft-centered event that is still in the planning process for Valentine’s Day.