Asbury men’s basketball season preview

As fall sports comes to an end, the start of winter sports is now upon us. That means it’s time for basketball!

The Asbury men’s basketball team is preparing for its opener at home on Nov. 9 against Johnson University.

Entering into his fifteenth year of coaching and thirteenth as head coach at Asbury, Coach Will Shouse is very positive about his team.

“We have a high percentage of our scoring coming back and have added the pieces we needed by recruiting in the offseason,” he said.

Shouse and the team have set goals for the upcoming season, which include winning more than 20 games, winning the River States Conference championship and securing their spot in the national tournament.

After losing four seniors from last season, new players have taken on new roles and responsibilities. Key additions to the team such as junior transfer Nick Fort, freshman Luke Dawalt and a promising freshman class will help the Eagles reach their goals this season.

With 30 games scheduled, Shouse understands how tough the conference games will be. He looks forward to the overnight trips to Pittsburgh and a tournament at Rio Grande.

Due to the ongoing pandemic, Shouse understands that plans will likely change over the course of the season.

“We just have to focus on the things we can do like wearing masks and staying out of big crowds,” he said.