photo by Taylor Godsey

Updates on current campus construction projects

Asbury University’s “Imagine” campaign is coming to fruition with the initial updates to the Student Center. However, there are more updates around campus planned in the near future. 

“Under the Ignited Capital Campaign, a student center renovation project is currently in the fundraising stage,” said vice president for Business Affairs and treasurer Glenn Hamilton. “Once fundraising is complete, architectural drawings will begin to be developed. The hope is to fully utilize the basement and create added outdoor space along with the overhaul of the building infrastructure.” 

The Student Center is currently being renovated to accommodate business offices from Fletcher-Early Center for Student Development, which will ultimately be demolished. More parking is planned to be added to accommodate students. 

“The current plan is to demolish Fletcher-Early this summer,” said Hamilton. “The university is also building 74 new parking spaces on Bellevue Avenue close to Kresge.  That work will begin this month and parking will be open for the fall semester.”

Perhaps the biggest update is Asbury’s newest building plan: the Collaborative Learning Center. 

“Currently the plan is to begin construction this summer,” said Hamilton, “We are still working on construction drawings for the Collaborative Learning Center and lots of planning has to continue over the coming months.” 

The completion of new buildings and the renovation of old ones will without a doubt bring some changes to the dynamics of campus, however, there is much focus on the changing atmosphere of the student center (or “Stuce”) due to the installation of administrative offices. 

“I’m curious as to why they picked the Stuce for the Fletcher-Early offices,” said senior Sarah Nesselroade. “It’s more of a student space to me. Is the atmosphere of the Stuce going to change when it’s partially a professional building? Are all of the financial costs to accommodate that space worth it in the long run?” 

While some students worry the Stuce’s atmosphere may change, others are excited for the process to start progressing more rapidly. 

“I feel like it’s been in the works for a long time, and it’s about time it started to move forward,” said junior Kenna Gardiner. 

Some see an added bonus in offices being moved to the Stuce.

“I think it’ll be faster now for me to get my coffee and go to meetings that were once in Fletcher-Early,” said junior Annie Pan. “I won’t be late anymore!” 

Asbury’s campus will remain classic with its historic Greek revival buildings, but the updates to campus will provide a fresher face for the next decade of Asbury’s future.