photos by Kristin sauer

Women’s swim team wins AAC title

The Asbury women’s swim team returned from the Appalachian Athletic Conference (AAC) championship meet in Kingsport, Tennessee, after having a week full of success. On Saturday, Feb. 15, the team claimed the AAC championship. After the first day of swimming, the Lady Eagles were at the front of the pack, and they managed to hold their lead throughout the weekend-long competition.

“Conference this year was different than the previous years,” said junior Hope Clark. “Though we knew coming in would be a battle with Brenau, every race, every point counted, but it went even deeper than the points or the places. We were just focused on having fun and encouraging each other.” 

Not only did the women’s team win the conference, Asbury also had four different athletes from both swim teams become individual AAC champions. Senior Clay Bisher placed first in the 100m backstroke, junior Hannah Springer placed first in the 200m breaststroke, junior Rosie Gary placed first in the 200m butterfly and sophomore Alex Wu placed first in the 200m butterfly. 

Springer not only won an individual conference championship, but she also broke her own AU school record and the AAC championships meet record. 

The men’s swim team also had an impressive showing at the AAC meet, placing second right behind Union University. 

“Saturday was a huge day,” said head coach Alex Keyser. “I’m so proud of both groups.” 

However, the Asbury swimmers weren’t the only ones receiving awards on Saturday; Keyser was also named the AAC Men’s Coach of the Year. 

“I’m humbled to accept this award, but this truly goes to our coaching staff and both of our programs,” said Keyser. 

Even with their amazing showing at the AAC championships, the Asbury swim teams are not done yet. The Eagles will dive back in on March 4-7 for the NAIA Nationals in Knoxville, Tennessee. 

Several Asbury swimmers met their national cuts at the AAC meet. Junior Julia Lawson, junior Kristin Sauer, freshman Elijah O’Connor, sophomore Kayla Hubbuch and sophomore Caleb Reams will join the rest of the Asbury swimmers that have already made their national cuts for the NAIA meet.