Photo by Gavin Reed

Students meet with Oscar nominees during LA trip

Asbury University students had the opportunity to meet with Oscars nominees while on
a production design trip Feb. 7-9. The weekend trip was intended to familiarize students
not only with the area and culture but also the movie-making industry.
Students met with Oscar nominates, specifically on the production and editing side.
They learned from creators who worked on films such as “Parasite,” “1917,” “Once
Upon A Time In Hollywood,” “Jojo Rabbit” and “The Irishman.”
For senior Hannah Barlow, one highlight of the trip was meeting Michael McCusker,
who won Best Editing at the Oscars for “Ford v. Ferrari” this year.
Barlow asked McCusker what advice he would give his 22-year-old self. “Don’t rush.
Take your time getting to learn all the parts involved on a film set.” Barlow also met
Dennis Gassner, the production designer for “1917.”
The students, most of whom are media communication majors, had many opportunities
to go behind-the-scenes over the weekend, such as attending workshops meant to
boost their knowledge in their future career areas.
“It was really enlightening to talk with some of the editors and production designers,”
said sophomore Lucas Ross. “Asbury students, including myself, got to ask questions
about what to do when leaving college or what to prepare for when breaking into the film
business.”
The students also had the opportunity to attend several panels hosted by professionals
in the industry, as well as network with people in their fields of study.
“We were given VIP tickets to attend both the editing and production design
workshops,” said Barlow. “This allowed us into the guild members line at the Egyptian
Theatre on Hollywood Boulevard. We got to hear all about the process of editing and
production designing from this year’s Oscar nominees.”
Students were also given time to do some sightseeing of the area, which included trips
to New Beverly Cinema, Casa Vega, Griffith Observatory, Hollywood and Sunset
Boulevards, the Egyptian Theatre, Santa Monica Pier and the Dolby Theatre, where the
Oscars are normally hosted.
“This trip definitely helped with my confidence,” said Ross. “Hearing from people who
have worked with so many big name actors and directors really helped me and other
students know what people are looking for in the film business.”