wikimedia

Gangsters, Seabirds and Parasites: Your 2020 Oscars watchlist

Hollywood is gearing up for the 92nd Annual Academy Awards ceremony on Feb. 9. While the Oscars and the concept of “Best Picture” might seem a bit nonsensical to some people, they still provide an opportunity to not only throw a great party, but to check out some films from the past year that you may not have heard of. Here are some of my favorite films from this year’s Oscar season.

First on the list is quite possibly one of the most beautiful movies ever made about movies, Quentin Tarantino’s “Once Upon a Time in…Hollywood.” Brimming with personality and a tinge of melancholy, “Hollywood” is first and foremost a love-letter to a bygone era, a fairytale epic that romanticizes a time when American cinema was at its most fruitful. 

Seeing DiCaprio, Pitt and Robbie on screen together is simply a joy, and their performances are full of truth, warmth, anger and humor. Combine this with a plethora of film and television references, fantastic production design, costume design and an effervescent soundtrack, “Once Upon a Time in…Hollywood” is endlessly rewatchable.

Hailed by many as the master of gangster cinema (although his credits go far beyond that), Martin Scorsese’s magnum opus “The Irishman” is both an expansive and detailed account of a lifetime in organized crime and a commentary on time, death and brotherhood. De Niro, Pacino and Pesci all deliver masterful performances, and as with the cast of “Hollywood,” seeing these actors on screen together is truly a sight to behold. (On particular scene between De Niro and Pesci in a motel breakfast bar is absolutely devastating.) Scorsese trades in the kinetic energy of “Goodfellas” and “Casino” for a more somber form of storytelling, but one that still packs a punch when it needs to. The visual de-aging of the main actors is also surprisingly convincing for the most part, and after a few scenes, you won’t even notice it.

Moving into different territory, South Korean director Bong Joon-Ho’s “Parasite” has been nominated for six awards, including Best Picture. According to Hollywood Reporter, “Parasite” is only the 11th foreign language film to ever be nominated for the award; if it wins, it will be the first to take home the award. This would be a massive step forward in international representation at the Oscars. 

That said, although I was not completely invested in “Parasite,” it features easily one of the most unpredictable and original storylines I have ever seen. Bong Joon-Ho switches through rapidly changing moods and tones with ease, and both great editing and an ensemble cast mark this as a film that will definitely be remembered in years to come.

Other films that should not be overlooked this season include “The Lighthouse,” “Marriage Story” and “Little Women.”

“The Lighthouse” may have only been nominated for its cinematography, but it definitely deserves the win. Its unconventional 1.19:1 aspect ratio and black and white cinematography create some of the most hauntingly beautiful images I’ve seen all year.

Writer/director Noah Baumbach continues his exploration of unbalanced family dynamics with “Marriage Story,” a beautifully crafted portrait of a family going through divorce.

And finally, the heartfelt monologues, non-linear storytelling and parallel scene structure of “Little Women” make Greta Gerwig’s version stand out amongst other adaptations (not to mention the acting, score, production design and visuals).

Overall, regardless of your opinion on the Oscars, it’s certainly going to be a fantastic season with a great lineup of films. While these may not be all the films that are being honored, they’re certainly some of my favorites.

Gavin Reed is a freshman at Asbury University and is currently majoring in Media Communications with an emphasis in Film Production. He also enjoys drumming, writing and hanging with friends.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe to our mailing list

Zeen Subscribe
A customizable subscription slide-in box to promote your newsletter
[mc4wp_form id="314"]