Photo by Eliza Tan

Flu outbreak strikes Asbury

Flu has run rampant through the month of February. Throughout the state of Kentucky, people have been falling ill with varying strains of the infection.

WKYT reported that during the week of Feb. 10-16 alone, the number of flu reports increased by 44 in the Lexington area, bringing the city’s total number up to 264. The number of those sick is daunting for just one state — as is the fact that there have been two flu-related deaths that have occured in Kentucky.

Kentucky is ranked as one of the highest states for reported flu cases. Although doctors say that the best way to combat and prevent the flu during the winter season is to get a flu shot, this has not seemed to slow down the virus.

Over the last month, numerous counties have had to close down school because the number of students infected with the flu was so high, including Jessamine.

Asbury has fallen victim to the outbreak as well. On Feb. 1, the men’s basketball team had to postpone its game against Carlow University due to multiple players being ill, and on Feb. 13, an email circulated through campus informing students of the reported spike in students experiencing flu-like symptoms.

The Asbury Health and Wellness Clinic made it clear what to do if you fall ill with the flu.

“Isolate yourself so you don’t spread the flu, wash your hands often, use tissues and throw away after each use, and do not return to class or work until you have been fever free for at least twenty-four hours without the use of fever-reduction medicines,” the clinic advised.  

Among students there was talk of class cancellations because the numbers of flu reports have been so high. The office of the provost took rapid action and cleared the air on this issue; an email to all of campus stated, “We plan for classes to continue as normal.”

For many students, getting their flu shot did not mean they were immune to the virus. Senior Georgia Slagle said, “I got my flu shot and still came down with the flu for four days.”

She added, “I am the biggest proponent of the flu shot, if not for yourself at least for the sensitive groups you may know, [like] children, pregnant women and the elderly.”

Take every precaution necessary to keep the rest of the student body and yourself healthy during this flu season. The flu is still very present on campus.