U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Air and Marine Operations and Office of Field Operations SRT provide air space security prior to Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta, Georgia. Photo by Ozzy Trevino, U.S. Customs and Border Protection

Superbowl 54: Dangerous offense vs. punishing defense

The most explosive offense in the NFL will clash with the one of the league’s most
impenetrable defenses as the Kansas City Chiefs and the San Francisco 49ers face off
in the 54th Superbowl on Feb. 2. Both teams have proven themselves to be
powerhouses throughout the regular season as they dominated their respective
conferences game in and game out.
Kansas City, led by third-year quarterback Patrick Mahomes, finished the season with a
12-4 record for the second year in a row. They are coming into the Superbowl with an
eight-game winning streak that dates back to Week 11, and they show no signs of
slowing down.
Mahomes has stayed true to form so far this post season, throwing eight touchdowns
and zero interceptions through two playoff games. With lightning-quick receiving targets
Sammy Watkins and Tyreek Hill, and the always dangerous Travis Kelce lining up at
tight-end, the Chiefs are enabled to capitalize on any chance to rip off a big play
downfield.
On the downside, the Chiefs have had a struggle running the ball all season, averaging
less than a hundred yards per game. The same is expected against the 49ers, who
have limited their opponents to less than 50 yards per game this postseason.
The San Francisco 49ers are fresh off their first winning season in six years.
Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo, who missed the majority of last season with a
devastating ACL tear, has bounced back and led the team to an incredible 13-3 record.
This season, San Francisco has grown into a true juggernaut both offensively and
defensively.
The disciplined offense focuses on the run game, contrary to the air-raid style of Kansas
City. The running back trio of Raheem Mostert, Matt Breida and Tevin Coleman has
accounted for 15 touchdowns and almost 2,000 yards this season. While the offensive
focus is running the ball, young receivers Deebo Samuel and Kendrick Bourne and
veteran Emmanuel Sanders are still very real threats down the field. On the defensive
side, San Francisco has been the strongest team this post season, allowing opponents
to well under 300 yards per game.

Expect Superbowl 54 to be nothing less than a hard fought game full of young stars
battling it out on both sides. Watch the game on FOX at 6:30 p.m. to see who will lift the
Lombardi trophy at the end of the NFL’s 100th anniversary season.