Photo by Eliza Tan

2nd annual Pack the Luce, minus the broken backboard

On Feb. 14, 2019, you and your friends shuffled into the Luce for the first-ever Pack the Luce
night. You grabbed some popcorn and a Gatorade and took your seats in the student section of
the gym. As you waited for the game to begin, you watched as a West Virginia Tech player
dribble the ball down the court and try to dunk. As he hung onto the rim, one of the wires
holding up the goal snapped. The basketball goal that should be horizontal hovered at a diagonal.
You and the entire gymnasium stood in sheer astonishment.
Fast forward a year, and the second Pack the Luce night was a little less eventful. No goals were
broken, and it was a little less than packed. In comparison to last year’s Pack the Luce, there was
a noticeable difference in attendance. The student section had gaps in it, and there seemed to be a
lack of family members in the stands. Nevertheless, those who did attend enjoyed a night filled
with free Chick-fil-a sandwiches, t-shirts and cow stuffed animals being thrown at them by the
cheerleaders.
In addition to free Chick-fil-a merchandise, there were various games during the halftime of the
men’s game. Asbury students were selected to partake in a free throw competition. For some
participants, like Carly Alvis, class of ‘23, this was their time to shine. For other participants, this
was their time to prove that not everyone can be Troy Bolton and get their head in the game. The
Chick-fil-a cow and Asbury Eagle mascot made an appearance and competed against each other
in a dance-off. There was no clear winner, but the head of the Eagle mascot came off which
made for an entertaining yet gruesome sight to see.
While it was a fun night, both the Asbury men and women’s teams lost their games by only a
few points each. The Eagles fought hard though, and students and faculty remain proud
supporters of their Asbury basketball teams.