Volleyball seniors stoke the fires of sisterhood Strong team chemistry, new talent pushing to championships

The past three seasons, the Asbury Volleyball Team has been within reach of the national tournament but unable to push past the final hurdles. The team has fallen short in the semi-finals each season in competitive matches. 

There is one group of ladies on the team who have experienced all three of those seasons and are looking to make a difference for their final season. The seniors of this years’ team include Kandace Eligio, Lizzy Rempel, Jessie Sandefur, Julia Thompson and Charis Wieschhaus. 

This year’s team also features more depth than previous years, particularly at the setter position. “We have two new setters this year in Taegan Montgomery and Hailey Jordan,” said Head Coach Keith Stowe. Both Montgomery and Jordan are freshmen. “It is unusual for freshmen to see significant playing time so that definitely says something about their talent level.”

While the team features both new and returning players, they are working towards one unanimous goal: winning the conference. “Everyone wants it,” said Eligio. “We have the talent and we’ve shown it.” 

This season the team has already faced multiple top national teams. The team opened the year against ninth-ranked Lindsey Wilson and remained competitive but eventually fell in four sets. Their scores were 25-20, 21-25, 20-25 and 8-25. 

While the team currently sits below the .500 mark, the team and Coach Stowe are not worried because of their top-heavy schedule.

“This is done intentionally,” said Stowe. “The better teams exploit our weaknesses and show what we need to work on.” 

According to Stowe, the front-loaded schedule also allows the team to practice their mental game to prepare for the tough teams, come conference play. While they may not have the best record, the team will be ready.

“Our technical game is fine,” said Stowe. “Sometimes we just make mental errors and lose confidence.”

While the team has been preparing their mental game for conference on the court, they have also been enjoying unity off the court, led by the leadership of the seniors.  “When we were freshmen we made a promise to make others feel welcome,” said Eligio. “We have been very intentional about it and it is paying off.” 

“Girls teams tend to have drama,” said Sandefur. “This year everybody seems to be on the same page and we have great chemistry.”

“The seniors truly want to build the team atmosphere,” said Stowe. “I really would love to see them leave on a positive note with a conference championship.”  

The Eagles open conference play next Friday, Sept. 27 at Brescia University, where their quest for the conference title and a trip to the national tournament will begin.