10/12 Issue News Briefs

Brees sets NFL passing record
New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees set the NFL record for career passing yards during a Week 5 matchup versus the Washington Redskins. Brees threw for 363 yards to raise his total to 72,103, eclipsing Peyton’s Manning’s mark of 71,940. The Saints won the game 43-19 and improved their record to 4-1, placing them atop the NFC South. – ESPN

Haley resigns as UN ambassador
Nikki Haley announced she will resign from her position as the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations at the end of the year. President Trump said Haley approached him six months ago concerning her desire to take a break from the administration. Trump said he hoped Haley will return in a different role and named no immediate successor with the initial announcement. – NYT

Lawsuit filed against La Croix
Law firm Beaumont Costales filed the suit against La Croix on behalf of consumer Lenora Rice, claiming the luxe brand drink is not actually “100% natural” as advertised. The suit alleges that La Croix contains artificial ingredients such as linalool, which is found in cockroach insecticide. The drink’s owner, National Beverage Corp., refuted the allegations. – NY Post

Climate change report issues dire new warning
The UN Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says the planet will reach the crucial threshold of 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above pre-industrial levels by as early as 2030, spiking the risk of extreme drought, wildfires, floods and food shortages for hundreds of millions of people. The current levels of greenhouse gas emissions led to the date prediction, which falls within the lifespan of many people alive today. – CNN