Taken by Samuel Reed

Learning to Love: a Sunday night Revival update

There’s something so beautiful about Love. 

It’s more than a fleeting emotion or a mere feeling. It’s what brings people together. We’ve been here in Hughes Auditorium for over a hundred hours— praying, crying, worshipping and uniting— because of Love. We’ve even expanded into Estes Chapel across the street at Asbury Theological Seminary and beyond. I can proclaim that Love boldly because God is Love. 

1 John 4 says, “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God because God is love.”

God, the epitome of Holy Love, brought us together. And He wants us to Love each other, too. 

In a situation like this, where hundreds of people are gathering (kind of squishing together), we can get caught up in our differences, whether because of race, age, gender, denomination or something else. We can feel intimidated, might I say even fearful in a crowded room. 

But we were all created in the imago Dei, the image of God. What we see as differences, God just sees as more reflections of Himself and His character. And that is absolutely beautiful, because if He is Love, then that Love is a part of who we are, too. 

On Wednesday, when Zach Meerkreebs preached out of Romans 12 about Love, it meant something different because all in attendance were college students. Now, with people across races and generations coming together, we have a better representation of who God is and what the kingdom of God is like. 

The book of Revelation, written by John of Patmos, describes heaven as follows: “After this, I looked, and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and before the Lamb” (7:9). 

Therefore, Love is requiring more of us. 

“We’re learning how to Love across greater boundaries and rifts,” Asbury junior Dakota Poole said. “We’re learning about the effort Love takes. If God is Love, and He crosses boundaries, we’re called to do the same.” 

I remember Asbury during 2020. Not only did the coronavirus keep us physically apart, but there were a lot of cliques based on majors, athletics, political preferences and more. 

The enemy thrived on this division. Our loving God fought against it; He is a God of unity. Why else would His Spirit fall on a bunch of students on a random Wednesday morning?

Because now I can see that we are acting different. We’re taking care of each other, constantly checking in if we’re eating and sleeping enough. We’re processing hardships together and praying bold prayers for healing, and prayers against any and all spiritual warfare. 

Because as Paul says in 1 Corinthians, Love “always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres” (13:7). 

Confession and forgiveness are pouring out. We’re serving each other and the community through worship, communion, prayer, IT, writing, hospitality, etc. 

One anonymous student felt led to bring her kettle to the revival a few days ago with whatever tea supplies she had. 

“I decided to listen to that still small voice and I am so glad I did,” she said. “He brought more people to offer more supplies and now one kettle has turned into a table full of coffee and tea for anyone who needs it. I’m just so encouraged to see the Lord take something so small and multiply it like He has.”

This is a mere example but it truly feels like we’re understanding more of God’s Love. We’re loving in action. 

“This weekend has shown a glimpse of what it looks like when we put aside our differences and come together to be in the presence of God,” junior Kyla Rowell wrote on Facebook. “What can happen when the Body of Christ is united in Love and not divided by irrelevant things is beautiful.”

No matter if we’re friends or strangers, no matter if it’s easy or hard, we are called to Love. We are called to represent this essentiaul quality of God, because “Love never fails” (1 Corinthians 13:8). 

And neither does God. 

The Collegian will continue to provide updates on the revival as God continues to transform this small community.