Tropical storm Nicholas hits Gulf Coast

Gulf Coast residents are still recovering from Tropical Storm Nicholas. 

More than half a million residents lost power from the powerful effects of the storm after it made landfall on Tuesday, Sept. 14. No deaths or serious injuries were reported.

The effects of Nicholas were severe for many, especially those in Louisiana, who are still dealing with the devastating effects of Hurricane Ida two weeks prior. 

On Sept. 14, Gov. John Bel Edwards of Lousiana expressed his concern at a press conference. “One of the most distressing parts of this is the heaviest rain now is expected to fall in areas that were most devastated by Hurricane Ida, down in southeast Louisiana.”

With consecutive seasons of increased hurricanes and intensity in the North Atlantic, many meteorologists and scientists believe global warming is likely the driving force.

“Nicholas marked the 19th named storm to make landfall in the Lower 48 in the past 17 months, representing a period of hyperactive tropical activity that appears virtually unmatched in the historical record,” meteorologist Matthew Cappucci said. 

By Tuesday night, Nicholas had weakened to a tropical depression or a weakened storm with winds below 39 miles per hour. 

In response to the collateral damage of Nicholas and Ida, more than 8,000 members from the National Guard jumped into action, aiding the civilians affected by the storms. In addition, 80 high-water vehicles and 23 boats came to aid. 

Louisiana’s request for a federal emergency declaration was approved by President Joe Biden. His approval of this request authorized FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) to coordinate disaster relief. 
To help those who need it or to find more information, please visit redcross.org, call 800-RED-CROSS, or text the word REDCROSS to 90999.