The voice of Goofy comes to campus

The magical arrival of a certain Disney voice actor had Asbury University students exclaiming, “Gawrsh!” 

On Sept. 9, Bill Farmer, the voice of Goofy, visited campus and spoke to students and faculty about the path that led to his voice acting career and his incorporation of faith into the world of animation.

Starting as a radio show host and stand-up comedian, Farmer had “a place to fail” and practiced what it meant to develop different voice characters while working with an audience. On the advice of his agent, he later went to Hollywood to audition for Disney animation characters and was chosen for the voice of Goofy over a thousand other performers.

Farmer has played the iconic animated roles of Goofy and Pluto and incorporated other voices for 4,000 different projects since 1986.

He is the recipient of the “Disney Legend Award,” gifted to those whose talents have significantly impacted and shaped the Disney legacy. Farmer was honored with the award in 2009 alongside notorious entertainers Robin Williams and Betty White. He has also received an Emmy nomination for his prized role in “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.”

In “Goofy’s Life Lessons,” Farmer discussed what it means to work voice acting in animation and advised those interested in pursuing the career.

“You’ve got to go on a journey,” said Farmer. “Enjoy that journey. Looking back over my life, I thought, ‘If I could only win an award, I’d be happy; If I only got a series, I’d be happy.’ And yes, it does make you happy, but it’s not enough as you might imagine.”

He also touched on how encouragement and perseverance led him to success. For those inspired to commit to and work in the same field, “failing forward” is a principle he has become aware of and contributed to the encouragement.

When asked about the importance of Farmer’s faith and how its principles translated to his day-to-day work, the voice actor touched on his practice of allowing God to govern his life.

“It was the ability to let Him [God] help, to let Him guide me,” said Farmer. “The peace that you get from trusting in God was the most important thing for me because it allowed me to overcome. Don’t be afraid. Go boldly and with joy.”

Farmer’s Goofy character can currently be seen on Disney’s Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Amphibia, The Wonderful World of Mickey Mouse and Mickey’s Fun House. Farmer also acts as host and executive producer on It’s a Dog’s Life with Bill Farmer on Disney Plus.