Johnson & Johnson vaccine distribution on pause

Distribution of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine is now on hold. The CDC recommended pausing the use of the vaccine due to six women developing rare blood clots within one to three weeks of vaccination. 

“All six were women between the ages of 18 and 48 and all developed the illness within one to three weeks of vaccination,” the New York Times reported. “One woman died and a second woman in Nebraska has been hospitalized in critical condition.”

Johnson & Johnson released a statement the morning of April 13 stating that the safety of those who use its products is the “number one priority.”

“We are aware of an extremely rare disorder involving people with blood clots in combination with low platelets in a small number of individuals who have received our COVID-19 vaccine,” the statement read. “The United States Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are reviewing data involving six reported U.S. cases out of more than 6.8 million doses administered. Out of an abundance of caution, the CDC and FDA have recommended a pause in the use of our vaccine.”

This pause affects the vaccine’s distribution in Europe.

“In addition, we have been reviewing these cases with European health authorities,” the statement continued. “We have made the decision to proactively delay the rollout of our vaccine in Europe.”

States are recommending a halt to the use of the vaccine, including, but not limited to, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana and Louisiana.“In a video message posted on social media Tuesday morning, Gov. Andy Beshear said ‘we have very little J & J vaccine in Kentucky, compared to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines,’’’ the Courier-Journal reported. “He encouraged everyone to keep their appointments to get the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, calling them both ‘entirely safe’ and ‘incredibly effective.’”