Olympics provide students with invaluable experience

by Glenn McGlothlin, Contributing Writer

Every two years, Asbury students travel across the world to help make the Olympics a reality. This year, 30 students are traveling to PyeongChang, South Korea, for the Winter Olympic Games. 

The Asbury-Olympic relationship dates back to the 1980’s when Jim Owens, current dean of the school of communication arts, began working with ABC Sports. Ever since the Los Angeles Olympics in 1984, Owens has led Asbury students in being a part of broadcasting the Olympics, and he now leads teams to both the summer and winter. He said he doesn’t know of another school in the world that gets invited to help with the broadcast of the Games. 

Senior media communications major Austin Trachsel said Asbury’s involvement with the Olympics is what drew him to the school. “It’s just crazy that this little school in Wilmore can offer so much. That was the big pull that got me to Asbury.” 

“Students get to work within a massive cross-cultural event; sometimes over 200 different countries are involved,” Owens said. 

And that is exactly what some students are looking forward to. Senior audio production major Quinnette Connor said she is excited to see everybody from different walks of life. She said that though they may be from different countries, they are all using the same medium. 

Senior media communication major Ethan Garrett is also eagerly waiting to the experience the Olympics. “I’m always up for international experiences, whether that’s personally, culturally or working professionally.” 

Garrett will be on his own for most of his time there, as he is the only Asbury student working at the cross country skiing course. But he will not be without friends completely. “I’ve got a couple of Korean friends over there from high school that I’m going to try to meet up with,” he said. 

For some, the idea of working in close proximity to North Korea might sound intimidating or frightening. However, Connor has a different approach. “There’s no time to be afraid of that,” she said. For her, the importance is going there and gaining experience. She and all 30 students will return with a bank of knowledge and new skills to help them grow as Christians and individuals, as well as professionals. 

Photo courtesy of Hadley Slucher