By Collegian Staff

Four journalism students and their advisor traveled to Washington, D.C. to work as press for the opening of the Museum of the Bible from Nov. 11-18. Professor Greg Bandy wanted to plan a learning trip to D.C. and was able to secure press passes for seniors Katie Ellington and Cathryn Lien and juniors Matthew Pertz and Robin Gericke. The opportunity came through his connection with Phil Cooke, whose production company has been filming the Museum since construction began.

Bandy was reminded of the impact Scripture has on history. “Several years ago I had an opportunity to help curate a small, traveling exhibit on the history of the English Bible. The project opened my eyes to stories that were not only riveting, they changed the course of human history. Museum of the Bible presents this epic on a grand, engaging scale at just about every level,” Bandy said.

The first day was spent at the Museum. After attending a briefing by several Museum board members, the press had access to exhibits, and experts were available to answer questions about artifacts and the Museum. The students were grateful for the opportunity to work in this environment.

“I think opportunities like this are really important in college. You can only learn so much in the classroom. There’s nothing like immersing yourself in the field and doing real, professional work,” said Ellington.

The dedication of the Museum was on Friday, Nov. 17, and featured speakers such as Navy Chief of Chaplains Margaret Kibben and Rabbi Stuart Weinblatt of the Jewish Federations of North America. Members of the press had the opportunity to interview the founders, board members and supporters of the Museum.

“Working as press alongside professionals from networks across the country was an incredible experience,” Gericke said. “It showed what truly happens in the field and the quick turnaround time required. The writer from the National Journal that we ate lunch with the first day had already turned in an article based on the press briefing from that morning. Seeing the pace journalists must work at was exciting!”