Take my advice: A Bible and theology major’s advice on studying the Bible

By Dean Lane, Contributing Writer

Studying the Bible can be a daunting experience. If you don’t know where to start or how to continue, try these tips for studying the Bible.

Where to start: To anyone who is new to the Bible or new to reading the Bible, I will always suggest starting in the Gospel of John. The Gospel of John is easy to read; its stories are familiar and it is written in a way that speaks to the heart.

If you are more familiar with the Bible, I would recommend starting in a book that you have either not read, or in a book that relates to a subject matter that you want a deeper understanding of.

While it is important to think about where you are going to begin your study (especially for a new reader), the Bible is a book inspired by God. Its words are powerful and life-changing. Even if you start in a difficult book, if you seek to know and understand God, you will find insights and revelations that you would have never expected.

How long to study: I recommend that everyone make a commitment to themselves to read and study the Bible daily. Start easy. Try reading just a chapter a day, or perhaps reading for just five minutes a day. Work your way up to longer times in the word. If you commit yourself to daily study of the Scriptures, no matter how small you start, your life will be changed by the word of God.

Studying the Bible alone vs. in a group setting:Both are good choices. If you are part of a local church, attend one of their studies if possible. This will grow you closer with the other congregants at your church and will allow for multiple perspectives on the Scriptures. If you cannot go to your local church Bible study, there are numerous Bible studies on campus that are a fantastic resource for any student.

However, it is necessary that we study the Bible in private as well. Private study allows the Bible to form us individually. It is a special time that we get to spend with God, listening to his word. Try using private study as a time to memorize scripture and apply it to your daily walk with God.

Common mistakes people make when beginning a Bible study: Pride is often connected with most of our mistakes. It is always ready to sneak into the picture when we desire to read the scriptures. It can come in the form of false knowledge when we act like we know more than we truly do. It can come in the form of disbelief when we refuse to believe the Bible, because we think our own reasoning is better. It also can come in the form of disobedience when we refuse to take the actions that the Bible requires of us and believe that our ways are better than God’s. Instead, pray that God will humble you and soften your heart to receive the scriptures in the ways that they were intended. You do not have to be afraid of not having the proper training or education to start a Bible study. Just call on God and ask him to lead you in the way that you should go (Proverbs 3:5-6).

To get the most out of reading God’s word, you must read the scriptures with intent to do what they say (James 1:22). If you read the Bible as simply an academic exercise or as an item to mark off your daily checklist, you will never get as much out of the word as is available. The Bible is a revelation from God. It has been written and passed down through the ages in order to lead us to God and to lead us in the ways that we should live in relation to God and to others. Read it anticipating these things and you will not be disappointed.

Photo courtesy of Pixabay