A communications major’s tips on preparing for the workforce

By Jeremy Simmons, Contributing Writer

Jeremy Simmons, senior, has interviewed for nonprofit organizations, restaurants, libraries and a federal agency in Washington D.C.

How should students prepare for an interview?

When preparing for an interview, a student should research the company. In other words, one should know the organization’s mission, vision and core values, because questions relating to them will likely occur during the interview.

How should students dress for an interview?

A student should wear professional clothing to an interview. For men, professional clothing includes a suit (if you have one), a button-up shirt with a tie, dress pants and well-polished shoes. For women, professional clothing includes a suit with a skirt or slacks. Although interview attire may vary for different positions, a student would be wise to brush his or her teeth and hair, as well as showering before each interview. Would you want to hire a ragamuffin?

How should students conduct themselves in an interview?

During an interview, eye contact with the interviewer is vital. You, as the interviewee, should sit up straight and listen intently to the interviewer’s questions. Your body language is also important; fidgeting and other nervous habits should be avoided. The interviewer wants to know who you are, both professionally and personally speaking. With that being said, the interviewer does not wish to know about your personal problems, so refrain from speaking about previous relationship and employment issues. Most importantly, smile, express enthusiasm and be confident (but be careful not to appear arrogant)!

What should you include in an email to a boss or someone professional?

First, start your email with a personal greeting (e.g., “Dear So-and-So” or “Dear Sir/Madam”). Second, if the individual has assisted you in the past, express gratitude (e.g., “Thank you for answering my question”). Third, relay your purpose for emailing the professional (e.g., “I am writing to apply for this position”). Fourth, include another thank-you and end your note with a courteous closing (e.g., “Thank you for your consideration. Sincerely, First and Last Name”).

How important is it to maintain a social media presence for jobs? Why?

Preserving one’s social media presence is significant, because hiring managers may not offer a position to a student that appears to be irresponsible and disrespectful. Whether you realize it or not, your social media speaks louder than both your employment and educational backgrounds. Anyone can pass an interview; not everyone can maintain an honorable online image.