News Briefs – Week of 8/27

Spain hit by terrorist attacks – Islamic State claimed responsibility for the terrorist attack in Barcelona on Aug. 17. A van driver drove onto and swerved across a crowded walkway, killing 13 and injuring over 80 pedestrians. Later that day, policed foiled a second attack in the town of Cambrils, 70 miles to the south.

Total eclipse sweeps the country – The total solar eclipse on Aug. 21 was the first to cross the contiguous U.S. in 99 years. Tens of millions of people traveled to the path of totality, and Instagram reported more than 50 million people had 160 million interactions related to the solar eclipse.

North Korea fires missile over Japan – In the face of threats from President Trump, North Korea fired a ballistic missile over northern Japan on Aug. 22. Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe called it “a reckless act” as tensions heighten after the Washington Post released a defense assessment that stated North Korea developed the ability to attach a nuclear warhead to its missiles.

Kenya bans plastic bags – Kenya joins over 40 nations like China, France and Rwanda in implementing restrictions, bans and taxes on the use of plastic bags. Kenya has the harshest regulation. Making, selling or using a plastic bag is punishable by up to four years’ in prison or $40,000 in fines.

Whole Foods lowers prices – Amazon closed the deal to buy Whole Foods Market on Aug. 28 and immediately started lowering prices. Customers can expect long term discounts up to 40% on everything from avocados to rotisserie chicken.

Sources: Time Magazine, Buzzfeed News, New York Times