Peaceful protests can restore democracy

by Hannah Schultz, Executive Editor

Millions around the globe joined the Women’s March on Jan. 21, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration. This march was highly individualized, with some fighting for economic and social equality, some vying for reproductive rights, some denouncing Trump’s past sexist remarks along with hundreds of other causes. It was a tangible, effective way for women across the globe to address Trump.

Trump weighed in on the march on Twitter, and his initial response was not encouraging. “Watched protests yesterday but was under the impression that we just had an election!” he said in a tweet the next day. “Why didn’t these people vote? Celebs hurt cause badly.”

Trump has repeatedly revealed a misunderstanding of the election — that over 65 million U.S. citizens did not vote for him — and the responsibilities of the office over which he now presides. He joined a chorus of his supporters, who seem to view the presidency as a kevlar vest.

“Donald Trump won fair and square, and so there’s no reason for the parade,” a Trump supporter told Slate the day of the march. “We sat through Obama, so you have to sit through Donald Trump. It’s our turn. We won. Suck it up.”

If Trump truly wants to return the power of government to the people, he will have to learn that criticism is vital. How he responds to criticism and popular demand will shape the success of his time in office.

“It is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty to tell the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to blame him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right,” said former- President Theodore Roosevelt in an editorial, which criticized then-President Woodrow Wilson. “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or unpleasant, about him than about any one else.”

So far, Trump’s reaction to criticism does not suggest a flattering legacy for his presidency. It began with Press Secretary Sean Spicer blatantly lying about Trump’s inauguration crowd in his first press conference. Then, the White House temporarily ordered the National Parks Service’s Twitter account to be suspended after it retweeted images comparing Trump and Obama’s inauguration crowds. His office announced censorship of published research from the EPA — interpreted by many, including NPR, as a reaction against the criticism of climate change supporters. Trump reiterated unsubstantiated claims that he lost the popular vote due to widespread voter fraud. He also fired and replaced former Acting Attorney General Sally Yates over her instructions to the Justice Department not to defend his executive order on immigration within hours of her rebellious statement.

[perfectpullquote align=”right” cite=”” link=”” color=”” class=”” size=””]If Trump truly wants to return the power of government to the people, he will have to learn that criticism is vital. How he responds to criticism and popular demand will shape the success of his time in office.[/perfectpullquote]

With Trump’s tendencies towards lies and the suppression of opposition, we must remember that our government was designed to prevent tyranny. By taking a stand — signing a petition, calling your local government officials, joining a march or protest — you are capable of enacting change, and never let anyone convince you otherwise.

Peaceful protest, criticism and resistance are the answers to a question posed by the EIU, the research and analysis wing of The Economist Group, as it reported that the U.S. has been demoted from a full democracy to a flawed democracy. When citizens become involved and the government addresses their concerns, it rebuilds our trust in the ability of the government to correctly exercise its power — a trust that is at an all-time low, according to the PEW Research Center.

Even if you don’t agree with all the reasons why millions marched two weeks ago, I hope you respect and support the right of Americans to gather in peaceful protest. I hope you believe in the right of brave scientists and environmental advocates to launch “rogue” Twitter accounts to continue climate change education, the right of Pro-Life supporters to march in Washington, the right of Native Americans to protest the Dakota Access Pipeline, the right of thousands to flood airports in protest of the Muslim ban and the right of women to march against Trump. I hope you get involved yourselves and renew the fullness of our democracy.

But most of all, never tell me — as a woman, as a journalist, as a U.S. citizen — to shut my mouth, sit down, “suck it up” and just take it.