Athlete of the Week: AJ Lewis

CLASS – Anchored

SPORT – Basketball

MAJOR – Social Work

You’ve averaging almost twice as many minutes as you have in any previous season; what has it been like to play a bigger role?

I am definitely in better shape and my body hurts a lot more after games. But, I love to battle with these girls, and the more time I get to do that in a game is a blessing.

The increased minutes have led to your best year yet; what were your preparations like as this season approached?

I knew I would be stepping into a bigger role this season; not only that, I knew it was my last year to lace up and play ball with some of the most incredible ladies I have ever known. Having that in mind kept me motivated on getting in shape and just finding confidence in my game, because I knew I would need to give more on the court this year.

After last year’s run, this season has been a bit more difficult. What goals does the team have moving into the final leg of the season?

We’ve had some tough losses and gotten discouraged because of our record at times, but we’ve learned a lot and grown as a team. We are really starting to click better and we plan to just keep on rolling until we bring home another conference championship.