by Kayla Lutes, Features Editor

The Asbury Outreach Coalition (AOC) gives students the opportunity to volunteer in multiple capacities. From attending church with veterans to spending a lunch hour with elementary students, AOC has a place for every kind of student to lend a hand to the community. If you are interested in joining any of the groups below, contact Kaylyn Moran or the student leader.

EASTERN STATE HOSPITAL OUTREACH

Student Leader: Jennifer Loftus

Question: What has been a significant moment for you as you’ve served?

Loftus: My previous idea of what mental illness looks like has shifted. I’ve learned over and over what an unfairly stigmatized group of people they are. Granted, you hear and see a lot of unexpected things, but despite whatever the patients are suffering from, they are still a dignified group of people like everyone else.

BLUEGRASS YOUTH FOR CHRIST AT STEAM ACADEMY

Student Leader: Rebecca Bolinger

Question: What is the heart behind this group?

Bolinger: Forming relationships with high school students who have tough life situations and making sure they know how much they are loved by God and how great his plans for their lives are.

THOMPSON HOOD VETERAN CENT ER

Student Leader: Carley Plyes

Question: What are some things that your group does to serve?

Plyes: Every Sunday we go to the Veterans Center for their chapel service. We go to greet the vets as they come into chapel, hand out hymn books and sit with them during the service.

LUNCH BUDDY PROGRAM

Contact: Kaylyn Moran Question: What kind of student should serve?

Moran: Anyone can serve. We are looking to make a consistent, small, positive impact on a child’s life.

REFUGE FOR WOMEN

Student Leader: Jeanine Campbell

Campbell: We’re passionate about how much every woman matters and deserves hope, love, restoration and freedom. We want to assure the women at Refuge of that truth by taking time to serve them and build uplifting relationships.

CHURCH UNDER THE BRIDGE

Student Leader: Morgan Callen and Savannah Schar

Question: What has been a significant moment for you as you’ve served with this group?

Callen: There is a man who I speak with every week, and I would like to say I can call him friend. He has shown me that our friends are not limited to people with homes and money but to the people who need friends the most.